mtbr member
    Mar 2013

BB92 press fit feels rolling resistance

Is this normal. Brand new build, Had the LBS install the bottom bracket. I installed the double crank last night no spacers on a mach 5.7 carbon. But when I turn the pedals it feels a little stiff as the pedals dont move freely. I could have the crank arm with pedals sit at a 90 degree angle and it doesnt fall with gravity. Did I do something wrong??? i have installed many cranks in my time but this is a first for a press fit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Maybe you've got the side preload a little high.
    Warning - Some BB's are tight initially and loosen up to being ok. If you set those ones up to spin free-er initially, they might end up with play if you don't keep and eye on them.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Any new BB will be a bit sluggish as its nicely full of grease! But to answer your question, no a press-fit BB shouldn't be any stiffer than an external one.

If you take your cranks off again, you should be able to spin each of the bearings easily by sticking your finger in the hole - this is how I test if my bearings are getting to the end of their life - if its gritty and rough I replace.

If you can't turn them easily and smoothly with your finger, then you know the LBS didn't install them properly. If they're spinning nicely when the cranks are off, but not once you've fitted them, then you know its something you are doing - and as Alex said above, over-tightening the pre-load nut is the most common mistake - it should only be done finger tight until there's no sign of looseness when you grab each crank and try to wiggle side to side. Then you just tighten up clamp bolts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I wouldn't worry about it. I've always been surprised by how stiff external bearing cranks are when first installed. They will free up - lots of bearing and sealing surfaces to work in.
    Only problem I've ever had was one bike with bottom bracket cable routing, the screw holding the guide on was too long and bending the inner shield.