mtbr member
    Feb 2007

BB30 or Threaded BB

I am looking to build my dream SS a Lynskey Ti frame with belt drive. My big desision at this point is to go with this new BB30 to help stiffen up the driveline more or go with the tried and true external bearing BB with 24mm spindle. Does anyone out there have some time in on a BB30 frame to see how it holds up.

mtbr member
    I had the same question for my new cyclocross bike and after looking into the standard I decided against BB30 due to the C clip interface for the bearings , I personally have always had these little guys fail on me so for a frame interface I say NO WAY !!

Threaded is proven and there a ton of parts out there for this system , heck even chris king finally finished their BB and it fit's threaded !!

Leave the internal bearing stuff along for the next few years untill the industry can decide collectivly how there going to figure this out , heck it only took BMX the past 5 years to settle on a press fit bearing standard any bet's on how long it's going to take the rest of the industry to get on board ?
    Follow me on Instagram for up to date build pics -Brad4130
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

Premium Member
    I would probably go threaded as well. If you ever have the BB crap out on you, you'll be able to find parts anywhere, and any mech will know what to do with it.

While BB30 is becoming the standard in the road world, I would let it work itself out a bit before committing to it...remember the old Klein press-fit BBs?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If going custom..........why not pressfit BB30?