mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Is a BB30 crankset taken off a Road bike compatible with MTB frame?

I have an opportunity to buy a FSA SL-K carbon crankset in like new condition for an awesome price.

However, it's from a road bike, and I'm wondering if it's the same as the FSA SL-K crankset they make for mountain bikes, or if it would not be compatible. Can someone help me with the difference?

I'll probably try to buy it anyways, if only to re-sell on eBay for a profit

mtbr member
    I have no idea about that particular crank but in general road cranks will not work on mtbs. They have a larger bcd and the small ring will contact the frame unless you use a wider bb, which would screw up the chainline.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    I have no idea about that particular crank but in general road cranks will not work on mtbs. They have a larger bcd and the small ring will contact the frame unless you use a wider bb, which would screw up the chainline.
    Ok thanks. I knew that the large ring was larger, and was probably just going to remove it and make the bike a single speed in front with the 34t ring. But I didn't know about the different in BB width. And I still don't know much about these new BB30 bottom brackets.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by kendobari View Post
    Ok thanks. I knew that the large ring was larger, and was probably just going to remove it and make the bike a single speed in front with the 34t ring. But I didn't know about the different in BB width. And I still don't know much about these new BB30 bottom brackets.
    If it's got a chance in hell of working it will be as a single ring setup. Running the chain ring on the outer position might give you the extra bit of clearance you need. Chain line is less of a concern with single ring setups. If you're thinking of buying the crank to resell anyway I'd give it a shot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I think I will... The guy's selling it for $125 and it seems to go for at least twice that on eBay. His loss!