mtbr member

BB30 crank on non-BB30 bike

Is it possible to mount a BB30 crank (one of the new FSA386, for example) on a std. english threaded BB, using external cups from either Fifteen.G or Zipp? Both seem to have spindles that are 30mm, and use external cups.

Maybe I am missing something incredibly obvious...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I think the cup-to-cup spacing would be wrong. Part of the appeal of BB30 is that those big bearing sit in the frame, in the same location that the old internal BB's sat, so the hub shell width is still 68 or 73 mm wide. The external bearing cranks have a much wider bearing spacing - like the BB95 on Treks.

While you could take a bb30 shell and get a conversion to use a standard threaded bb, you can't go the other way around, your standard threaded bb shell isn't big enough for the bb30 standard.

http://www.bb30standard.com/
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    While you could take a bb30 shell and get a conversion to use a standard threaded bb, you can't go the other way around, your standard threaded bb shell isn't big enough for the bb30 standard.

http://www.bb30standard.com/

For internal bearings...CLEARLY.
    Both Fifteen.G and Zipp market cranks that have 30mm spindles and BB30 sized outboard bearings.
    I think kdiddy is correct in that the spindle for a BB30 crank will be too short, and that the outboard set-up is negating the q-factor advantage of the standard.

oh well...

mtbr member
    If you're set in the FSA 386, they make a std. BB version of those cranks. Both the carbon and the Afterburner I think.

Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie
    For internal bearings...CLEARLY.
    Both Fifteen.G and Zipp market cranks that have 30mm spindles and BB30 sized outboard bearings.
    I think kdiddy is correct in that the spindle for a BB30 crank will be too short, and that the outboard set-up is negating the q-factor advantage of the standard.

oh well...
    Sorry, read your OP poorly. Curious, why do you want the 30mm spindle? You having problems with the 24 mm spindles?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    thanks for the input.

I know the 386s are available for both.

Part of the reason is (sorry to say) weight. BB30 versions are significantly less, I assume due to aluminum v. steel spindle.

Also, there may be a C'dale flash hardtail in my future, so I'd like to have a compatible crank if I end up with that frame.

Overall, I like the design, and wish more companies would adopt it. Same goes for direct mount FDs.
    For example, is it me, or is the little stub of a seat tube on GT I-drives the dumbest thing now there are direct mount options?
    Don't get me started on why doesn't anybody mount rear caliphers on chainstays (other than Ragley)...

IllumaDucati

Take a look at this kit for installing a Cannondale Si Hollowgram SL BB30 crankset in a standard bottom bracket shell. There's a Google Translate version of that page in English here.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    i did it in 2 bikes :

a F29er currently mine ( rode last sunday )

used a SI BB30 Cannondale carbon crankset duobled 37-21 + bash on THM Clavicula cups

a CAAD3 sold

with another BB30 SI Cannondale carbon crankset and the similar ZIPP cups + bearings posted by Roadsters
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BB30 crank on non-BB30 bike-hpim1641.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap
    i did it in 2 bikes :

a F29er currently mine ( rode last sunday )

used a SI BB30 Cannondale carbon crankset duobled 37-21 + bash on THM Clavicula cups

a CAAD3 sold

with another BB30 SI Cannondale carbon crankset and the similar ZIPP cups + bearings posted by Roadsters
    eliflap
    I love that bash ring. Who makes it?

FIRENZE rulez !!
    Quote Originally Posted by cort
    eliflap
    I love that bash ring. Who makes it?
    a little italian company

http://www.zorlonisnc.191.it/

not a specific bike parts website .

they work with good 29er oriented parts .

on the 29 italian forum you can find more informations

http://www.29pollici.com/hubpub/forumdisplay.php?f=27

and he does a carbon version too
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BB30 crank on non-BB30 bike-bashcarbon.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    So that kit includes a longer spindle?
    It must throw the chainline and Q factor off drastically.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    Quote Originally Posted by rammer
    So that kit includes a longer spindle?
    It must throw the chainline and Q factor off drastically.
    who talked about LONGER spindle ??

it's same lenght ,132 mm but with no lip to permits you to install and slide it as you need

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    bikinfoolforlife, I'll answer your question, I got on here to accomplish just that. I just got a brand new carbon Cannondale SI BB30 crankset for basically free, I know some people who know some people, etc., but I don't want to buy a new frame, that's a huge undertaking. but I do want to use this crankset!
    Eliflap, could you elaborate on what parts you used and what you did to mate a bb30 crankset in to your standard english threaded frame? Thanks!

FIRENZE rulez !!
    i installed the cups + bearings shown on the picture by roadsters

i did not needed the spindle , because i installed the SI Carbon , with a integrated one

i took off the big black preload screw ( normally installed on the left arm ) and i used a thinner spacer on the right arm ( 5 mm instead 8,3 mm ).

using BB30 bearings but in a wider position increases stiffness, in my opinion

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    eliflap, I'm afraid I still don't totally understand what you did, I think the language barrier is not helping, my apologies. You used the cups and bearings on the picture, meaning these:

http://www.cannondale-parts.de/epage...Products/KP094

several questions:
    1. do you use these and NOT the vumaquad cups? are these in ADDITION TO the vumaquad cups? it appears that these cups have no threads on them, so I can't see how they would thread in to my bb shell.

2. it appears the most expensive part of this kit is the spindle, yet you said that the spindle that comes with the SI crankset is sufficient. What then did you do with the spindle that came with the kit from germany, seeing that it is worth at least 100 euros?

3. the general concern with this modification is that the spindle is too short (narrow), yet you are using spacers (5 mm) , which would exacerbate this problem. It seems that using no spacers would allow full crank arm contact with the spindle splines, am I wrong?

Please advise. I sincerely appreciate your response. if I could get a specific breakdown of what parts you used, did not use, and in what order, that would be awesome!

FIRENZE rulez !!
    look the pics

as you can see from second pic , you see the white greased threads on the leftt arm. with a 3 mm spacer.

normally a crank like SI Carbon or a FSA Afterburner BB30 has threated in that place a big preload "nut" ( i don't know how to call it )

with it , you cannot secure the arm to spindle

without it , you can do it

the reason is the cups of this kit makes the BB shell wider than 68mm .

so a normal installation cannot work

and you have to "tune" or "adjust" something

and which part can you throw away ? that black "nut" ...

the bearing preload can be reached with right number of 0.5mm shims

i hope to explain well , my fault

to reply at your questions:

1. yes , i used those black cups , are the same of Vuma but cheaper

2. yes i asked to have the kit without spindle , not possible they told me, so i have it for a future project , in my spare box

3. no . a spacer is however required , depending on frame : rings hit the chainstays without a spacer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BB30 crank on non-BB30 bike-hpim1641.jpg  

BB30 crank on non-BB30 bike-hpim1643.jpg  

FIRENZE rulez !!
    i did a similar project on a F29er

a SI carbon 37-21 with bash ring

installed without black nut on THM Clavicula cups
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BB30 crank on non-BB30 bike-hpim0011.jpg  

BB30 crank on non-BB30 bike-hpim0006.jpg  

FIRENZE rulez !!
    finally i found a pic of what i removed from my crank
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BB30 crank on non-BB30 bike-dscn4314.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

30mm alloy spindle, into frames with a standard 68mm English-threaded (BSA) bottom br

rotrobikeusa.com has the following
    30mm alloy spindle, into frames with a standard 68mm English-threaded (BSA) bottom bracket shell

Also competitivecyclist.com sells the above rotorbike adapter
    2012 Rotor BSA 30 Road Bottom Bracket Item: RTR120 90.00 USD

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm running BB30 XX1 with 68mm BSA BB. See this thread :

XX1 BB30 Crank in 68mm BSA Bottom Bracket