mtbr member
    Jan 2004

bb-un73 sq.taper b.b. obsolete???

no shops locally can order anything but un54 b.b./ Nashbar has 300+un73's just listed in various sizes.are they new old stock or is Shimano reproducing them?

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

I Think They're Still Being Made

Not positive though.

I've never had a problem getting a UN-7x series BB locally. Did your shop try multiple distributors?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by '02 NRS
    no shops locally can order anything but un54 b.b./ Nashbar has 300+un73's just listed in various sizes.are they new old stock or is Shimano reproducing them?
    bikeman still lists it on their website but aebike, jensen & others don't, so hmm, I wonder if they're not makin' them anymore.

IRD sells some decent ones through their website & lists their dealers (interlocracing.com).
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The places that support old as well as new bikes might have them for awhile.

Look at what I found at lickbike.com

LickNotes: We're sorry to say, and should have seen the writing on the wall, but UN-73 bottom brackets have been discontinued. Shimano square taper offerings now will be limited to UN-54 and below. Take heart though, as all lengths are represented, from 107mm to 127.5mm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I've also been noticing the selection of UN53/54s and even the lower end square taper BBs has been getting much slimmer on many of the online bike shops. As I recall, Nashbar use to have it's own brand, but I don't see it on their site anymore. I have 4 bikes that all use different sizes of square taper BBs and have found that some of my sizes are getting pretty hard to find. I may need to stock up or see what it takes to take apart and rebuild my old ones. Fortunately a just put a new UN73 on my main mtn bike last fall.

mtbr member
    Are there any equivalent alternatives to the un73 like raceface still available? I've been looking for a replacement for mine also but I've turned up empty handed. I would like to avoid the weight compromise by stepping down to the un54 but I also donít want to replace my crank. I checked out price point, Jensen, nashbar, bluesky and universal cycles all with no luck. Any other options?
    1 hockey puck-$2
    1 mouthguard-$9
    8 missing teeth-$23K IOU from tooth fairy
    rattled brain forgetting impact-PRICELESS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by logbiter
    bikeman still lists it on their website but aebike, jensen & others don't, so hmm, I wonder if they're not makin' them anymore.

IRD sells some decent ones through their website & lists their dealers (interlocracing.com).

http://store.interlocracing.com/bobrisandsqt.html

these look like viable replacements, does anyone have any experience with these? I've ad good luck with interloc products before, and I'm hoping these are no different
    (loyal sq taper user)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

sq.taper b.b./

online shops have not updated their sites-bikeman,etc./appears www.Nashbar.com may have bought out the last of the bb-un73 stock with their huge inventory they list. 10% code-2302868784 is good till 4-9-'07/$25 is the deal currently.not too shabby since the best local$$$ is $23/ bikepartsusa is $17.50 on the un54.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I've heard that the 54 is equivalent to the 73, it does now have the hollow axle that used to be (I think) reserved for the 7X bb's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris
    I've heard that the 54 is equivalent to the 73, it does now have the hollow axle that used to be (I think) reserved for the 7X bb's.

it took a little looking, i did find 2 sites still selling the un73. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...spx?ModelID=49
    and
    http://www.bikesmart.com/index.cfm?m....99&StartRow=1

there isnt too much of a selection though. the un54 is advertised as the replacement to the shimano bb-un5* and 7* series bottom bracket. theres roughly a 60 gram weight difference between the 54 and 73, but it does have a hollow spindle like you were saying. I checked out the ird bb's and theyre in the same weight range as the 54 (300ish g). does race face still make any of thier square taper bb's?
    1 hockey puck-$2
    1 mouthguard-$9
    8 missing teeth-$23K IOU from tooth fairy
    rattled brain forgetting impact-PRICELESS

Person
    Sep 2005
    Cambria lists UN-74 on their site, but the pic shows a UN-73.

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=30449

Always keep an eye on ebay, I bought a new UN-73 for $12 a few months ago.

Former Bike Wrench
    According to Shimano's North American website...neither the UN-7X series or the UN-5X series BB are posted so I'd have to assume they are no longer produced. Typical Shimano...they only list the really low-end LP crap. So you might want to stock up.

Of course...you can always pick up a Phil Wood for around $120, but it seems cheaper just to stock up while they are still available.

anyone else smell that?
    truvativ makes (or made...?) some square tapered as well. nashbar's houes brand work fine...but are kinda heavy in comparison to the shimanos.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

try danscomp

Quote Originally Posted by '02 NRS
    I tried ordering from a lbs and they first got in a xt octalink BB eventhough I had said un72-73 and showed them my sq taper crank to ask about spindle size on my SS bike. I told them to re-order the right BB and they never called me back. Last time I looked at bikeman I don't think they had any xt sq in stock. I saw that Dans comp BMX mailorder still had them but I ended up just ordering a set of redline flight cranks with a fsa BB instead, cause it looks cool and should be stronger then a cheap sq taper crank. Dans was listing them for about $35, Harris cyclery also had some, but was charging a little more$40-$45.