Thread: BB size help

mtbr member

BB size help

i just got a new fram on ebay. giant NRS , 68mm shell. i need a BB, but i dont know how to figure out size requirements. I read somewhere that my spindle length depends on my crankset. i havent picked up a crank yet either. i wanted to do both at the same time, hopefully on ebay to cut the cost. RECCOMDATIONS? HOW/WHERE CAN I FIGURE OUT MY SPINDLE LENGTH. ive been an XT guy since day one, but id like tive something else a try if you can think of anything similar or better for a close price.

sorry for the second post... computer froze...
    Last edited by laackund; 12-11-2005 at 01:20 PM. Reason: typo

You'll still have to figure out which crank you want first. You could gather a list of cranks you would consider buying then working out the bb you'll need for them so once you pick your crank you know which bb to look for right away. You could also consider an external bearing type crankset, then you won't have to worry about it.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    With the new external BB cranks, all MTB frames use the same BB regardless of BB shell width and the BB is included with the crankset. Spacers are used to make it fit your particular bike. With non externall BB cranks, you need to buy the crank before the BB.

The best crank for the money right now is the '03 XT M752 Hollowtech Octalink BB cranks. They are selling for $89 at Jenson USA or $90-$100 on E-bay right now. These older design cranks are still stiffer than some new external BB cranks such as the Race Face Deus. Also, they have a 47.5 mm chainline which will work good with your NRS where all the new externall BB cranks use a 49-50 mm chailine.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Crankset.aspx

You would need either a ES70 or ES71 30 68x113 BB for the XT M752 crank. There are some cheaper models of BB's that would work too.

The Shimano cranks tend to be the stiffest for their weight and offer some of the best shifting. Some people complain about short chainring life. You will be hard pressed to beat XT cranks for value and performance.
    There is no added value to my participation - in fact, just more confusion.