Thread: BB Question

mtbr member

BB Question

Sorry for the elementary question, but here goes. I have a Blur with a set of Truvative Stylo cranks that I got from a local guy. He told me that the BB would most likely need changed soon, as he thought it was creaking too much. When I finally got the bike and rode it about 5 times, I didn't notice a thing with the BB. However, after the last ride, and after I cleaned the bike (with water!) I noticed something very odd. I was putting on my new wheels, and when I start to turn the cranks to get the chain spinning smoothly on the cassette, it felt like I had my rear brake on! It is almost difficult to turn the cranks now. Here is my question: does the bottom bracket need changed? Silly question I know, but I am not hearing any grinding noises like I thought I would, and it really just happend out of nowhere. I have taken the chain off to check the BB without any chain tension, and it still is difficult to turn. Sorry for being long winded. Just want to make sure I have everything covered.
    Also is it difficult to change a Bottom Bracket? I can pretty much do everything else, just curious about the facing (does it always need faced?). Thanks a ton for any feedback.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aspang
    Sorry for the elementary question, but here goes. I have a Blur with a set of Truvative Stylo cranks that I got from a local guy. He told me that the BB would most likely need changed soon, as he thought it was creaking too much. When I finally got the bike and rode it about 5 times, I didn't notice a thing with the BB. However, after the last ride, and after I cleaned the bike (with water!) I noticed something very odd. I was putting on my new wheels, and when I start to turn the cranks to get the chain spinning smoothly on the cassette, it felt like I had my rear brake on! It is almost difficult to turn the cranks now. Here is my question: does the bottom bracket need changed? Silly question I know, but I am not hearing any grinding noises like I thought I would, and it really just happend out of nowhere. I have taken the chain off to check the BB without any chain tension, and it still is difficult to turn. Sorry for being long winded. Just want to make sure I have everything covered.
    Also is it difficult to change a Bottom Bracket? I can pretty much do everything else, just curious about the facing (does it always need faced?). Thanks a ton for any feedback.
    Replace the BB. Park Tool's website has instructions on BB removal & replacement.