Thread: bb options

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

bb options

i'm serching for a new bb and want to know what options i have (make, model). the bike is a speicailized s-works hardtail with a specialized crankset. i don't know much about the compatibility or mixing and matching of bb's and cranksets. please respond as if you were talking to a 5 year old about the dangers of cholesteral as he munches down on his Mcd's cheese burger . peace, love.

daniel

Former Bike Wrench
    Need to know what year your bike is...Specialized cranksets came in Square Taper and Octalink as I recall but it will depend on the model year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Deffinately need more info....

since about 02 Spec has used the XTR Octalink system, or the newer XTR 2 piece Octalink II for 05 complete Sworks HT's. Older bikes with Strong Arm cranks may be different. So the year of the bike would be helpful.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    thanks for the responses. i belive the bike is an 02 and came with an octalink, which i have nevere replaced until now. is this bb easy to overalhaul. peace.

daniel

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pachanga
    thanks for the responses. i belive the bike is an 02 and came with an octalink, which i have nevere replaced until now. is this bb easy to overalhaul. peace.

daniel

depends on how you look at it. Overhaul probably consists of taking the old one out, throwing it in the trash, and slapping a new one in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Okay the 02 Octalink....

should be a 68x113mm bottom braket. Shimano sealed bottom brackets are not servicable so it's a simple matter of getting a new BB of the correct size and replacing it. To confirm the size, remove the crank arms and remove the bottom bracket. The 68mm shell width is an absolute certainty. All you need to do is measure the spindle width with a caliper, or the size may be printed on the bottom bracket shell. Most older Specialized bikes used the 113mm spindle. But there were a few here and there that used other sizes. So it's always best to confirm what you have currently and replace it with the same.

Good Dirt

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    alright, so it's not serviceable. are there any other bb models i have to chose from or am i stuck with the octalink due to the strong arm crank.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

I believe you are....

pretty much stuck with a Shimano bottom bracket unless you change cranks. There are some companies like Specialized that licensed the Octalink spline for their cranks, but none that have licensed the system for bottom brackets that I am aware of. Most everyone that wanted to go to a splined system went with the Race Face ISIS system as it could be licensed for free, all you had to do was prove that you had the facilities and technological capability to produce the system to RF's standards, and sign an agreement that locked you into a level of quality. To license the Shimano system you had to cough up cash!

So you are pretty much stuck with Shimano for the BB.

Good Dirt