Thread: BB going bad?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

BB going bad?

I just purchased a used ( less than 10 dry rides) Truvativ Giga pipe ISIS Team SL BB. Cosmetically it's a 10 but if you give it a spin in feels slightly gritty. The feeling is consistant on a full revolution, dirt usually causes rough spots. It is only felt on the 2 drive side bearings. I know it is should be smooth but has anyone had a similar experience and just went ahead and used it? How long did it last? Thanx

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    I just purchased a used ( less than 10 dry rides) Truvativ Giga pipe ISIS Team SL BB. Cosmetically it's a 10 but if you give it a spin in feels slightly gritty. The feeling is consistant on a full revolution, dirt usually causes rough spots. It is only felt on the 2 drive side bearings. I know it is should be smooth but has anyone had a similar experience and just went ahead and used it? How long did it last? Thanx
    Seems to be a slight problem with isis BB's. I've gone through a bunch of RF this past season under warranty and decided to switch to truvativ gigapipe sl. Had this BB about 4 weeks now and it seems to be a little rough and has some play in bearings. I did a 24hr race recently that was a rainy mess. I pulled out the BB yesterday and about a cup of water followed it. Not good for any BB, but I think this may have been the cause. The BB spins pretty freely with only some gritty rough spots. I decided to clean it up and grease thoroughly and reinstall it. After installation it spun smoother and felt a little tighter, but I know this is only going to buy me a little time before I need a new BB. I ride in the northeast where it's been a rainy mess all summer, so I think the elements may be partly to blame. Take out the BB once in a while if you ride in harsh weather. You'll be surpirsed all the crap that gets in there.
    Good luck.