mtbr member
    Nov 2006

BB crapped out after 3 1/2 yrs, better to...?

After major disassembly of my stumpy i found out the bottom bracket is shafted after 3 1/2 yrs. The casing is broken (sheared off at the ends and snapped)

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...d+O-Rings.aspx

i'm curious to know, would it be possible to...

a. order the above and just replace it (i have a truvativ GXP bb originally, will it work?) it's hollowtech 2 after all

b. order in a new bb assembly

c. order in a new crankset that comes with a bb (there's still some life left on the cranks).

which would be the best option?
    Last edited by -=phelan=-; 03-19-2009 at 10:36 AM.

Your link is to the plastic sleeve that simply covers the axle inside the bb shell for a Shimano crank of the HTII type. Is that all that is messed up with your GXP? Your bearings and cups are fine? If you got a new set of cups and bearings the sleeve would come with them normally. Don't know if that will fit your GXPs if all you need is the sleeve in any case; I did a brief search but didn't see them sold by themselves. Your cranks themselves likely have a lot of life left but if you're in need of chainrings and bearings, sometimes a new crank can be the most cost effective way to go, but not just for a sleeve. Did you try asking a bike shop for a spare?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Yup...that's all that's broken the sleeve. The bearings and cups are fine, i just need to get a new seal on one of the cups and it should be good for another season or 2.

jenson's site was the only site i found that sold the sleeve by itself. As for my cranks and chainrings, yeah they have probably another 2 seasons left on 'em before i have to swap out, no missing teeth yet!

Good point on the LBS shops to see if they have an extra "sleeve", i'll make a few calls.

Any other suggestions out there?

Quote Originally Posted by -=phelan=-
    Yup...that's all that's broken the sleeve. The bearings and cups are fine, i just need to get a new seal on one of the cups and it should be good for another season or 2.

jenson's site was the only site i found that sold the sleeve by itself. As for my cranks and chainrings, yeah they have probably another 2 seasons left on 'em before i have to swap out, no missing teeth yet!

Good point on the LBS shops to see if they have an extra "sleeve", i'll make a few calls.

Any other suggestions out there?
    There's always duct tape! Or go nekkid...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

eBiker
    3.5 years is a great run. It's probably time for a new BB.

Or service the BB bearings. The GXP covers easily come off, then use a sharp point to remove the sealed bearing cover, clean out the old grease, repack with new grease.

Superglue the cracked plastic tube thingy. It has no structural benefit, it just helps the sealing.

P

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    so if i went naked without the sleeve, would i be grinding away the inside threads of the bottom bracket?

cuz after examining it again, the parts where the O-rings fit over, are the areas where it's snapped off (both sides).

the main part of the sleeve is still in tact, just the "groove" where the orings fit into for a "seal".

^^ Mr.P - you mentioned about taking the gxp covers off, how do you do that as i want to get to the bearings and regrease them.

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by -=phelan=-
    so if i went naked without the sleeve, would i be grinding away the inside threads of the bottom bracket?

cuz after examining it again, the parts where the O-rings fit over, are the areas where it's snapped off (both sides).

the main part of the sleeve is still in tact, just the "groove" where the orings fit into for a "seal".

^^ Mr.P - you mentioned about taking the gxp covers off, how do you do that as i want to get to the bearings and regrease them.
    You don't need the plastic sleeve.

Remove seals: instructions above.

P