Thread: BB/Crank Noise

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

BB/Crank Noise

I recently bought an '04 Trek 4100. All I could afford at the time. Well I get noise from the BB/Crank when pedaling hard. Since its new I had my LBS look at it when they did my break in tune up. I was told that there is not alot I can do about it, short of changing out the BB & Crank. I've had the bike less than a month now. I'm not sure what I should do. can I ride it out and change the BB & Crank over the winter or is it a more pressing matter.
    Being I'm under some budget constraints right now. I had to go with the 4100 which is a 7spd but figured I convert it to 8 or 9 spd SRAM X.7 when I wear out the rear cassette. As for the fort I was thinking of going to a Race Face Evolve XC Crank and Race Face SRX BB. Can I change the front, while still maintaining the 7spd rear? Can I wait on the front or will waiting possibly damage my frame?

Thanks,
    Sink

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Warranty!

If I am not mistaken Trek and most other bikes come with a 1 year warranty on the components.
    Your lbs should help troubleshoot the problem by replacing the BB if they can't find any issues visually. NOT reccomend YOU replace the crank/BB (which is how it sounds from what you wrote).
    At this point, you replacing the crank/BB is not the thing to do since the bike is new. It should be a warranty issue.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronk
    If I am not mistaken Trek and most other bikes come with a 1 year warranty on the components.
    Your lbs should help troubleshoot the problem by replacing the BB if they can't find any issues visually. NOT reccomend YOU replace the crank/BB (which is how it sounds from what you wrote).
    At this point, you replacing the crank/BB is not the thing to do since the bike is new. It should be a warranty issue.
    Thanks I'll go back and see what they can do for me.