07' M4 Rockhopper Pro

I AM I AM
    Yep.
    Depends there are various reasons for getting one:
    O You always bash your big ring into stuff
    O You want to turn your bike into a 2x9 or 1x9 speed
    O Just out of curiosity, for looks, or cos everyone else has one
    0 Whatever other reason I can't think of at the moment

I've got one, I actually have a bash like ring on the inside and a bash on the outside because I've decided that I only really need the 32t ring up front and I use that sort of set up instead of getting a chainguide - without a front derailleur your chain has much more of a tendency to fall off!
    Advantages include more clearance and also the fact that you can ride with long pants without worrying and also don't have to worry about gouging your leg with the big ring any more. Of course the downside is that you cant put the pedal to the metal & really hammer along on the downhills or flat tarmac, but you could always switch out the 32t ring for a 34 or 36 (if you keep the granny as well) so it's really a non issue.

So if you're the type that always bashes the big ring against stuff, or you never use it then you're a perfect candidate for a bashring - you can get xc type ones that aren't as heavy & built to bash into stuff too which is a good option if bashing things isn't currently a problem.

Captain Underpants
    Do you grind your large ring on nasty stuff? If so, get one.

TJT
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    www.bbgbashguard.com

cheap, reliable, well made.

For this price, you can try it out and go back to 3-ring if you prefer.

!sdrawkcab kcusuoy aH
    I got one on my "freeride" bike I converted it to a single 34 tooth ring and have no problems climbing or charging down hill. 34 tooth is a good middle ground

Nice day for a ride.....
    I use one on my XC bike just because I do get into alot of fallen trees / roots / large rocks. I converted it over to 2x9 and added an Envy bash ring. Works great is isn't much of a weight penalty for XC.
    As seen here:
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've got a bashring on two of my bikes (DH and AM). When I was running an XTR crankset on an older bike I used to hit the big ring chain ring on rocks and logs. I definitely could've messed up my chain on my DH rig without a bashguard.

e.13 on my DH bike:

Purely Custom alum bash ring on my AM bike:

I'd much rather let those take the brunt of hits as opposed to an expensive crankset!

workin' it Administrator
    I run one on my rigid 29er. Not for looks but as a bashguard. If you don't need a bashguard don't get one but if you are constantly hitting your big ring then swap in a bashguard.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yes. The added ground clearance is a nice and I never used the big ring for anything other than a (spikey, damage prone) bash guard anyway.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TJT
    www.bbgbashguard.com

cheap, reliable, well made.

For this price, you can try it out and go back to 3-ring if you prefer.
    Those look pretty good for an xc bash. Cheap and really light.

As the others have said, they provide more ground clearance and a side benefit is that you can wear long pants and not worry about getting them stuck in your chain. If you rarely use your big ring, it's a pretty easy decision. I don't need a big ring on the types of trails I normally ride so I use a bash on my trail-only bikes. But I also have a couple of bikes with the triples that I use for a mix of trails and roads.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

Edibles

one plus

No more chain ring blood.

Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
    Exactly, none of the other reasons convinced me to buy a bashring, although I do bash the big ring frequently in logs but not severely. Now that I got no less that 9 teeth marked on my leg, I might reconsider the purchase of one

TC
    mtbr member

no brainer

never use the big ring
    e13 DRS on my 07 BLT
    sweet
    Attached Images Attached Images
    if the thunder don't get you, then the lightning will

pedal pusher
    Do those plastic bashguards stand up to the same abuse as the aluminum ones? I'm wondering because I ordered a Shimano Saint BR--which is plastic of some sort--to go with a Hone crankset, and I don't know what to expect of it long-term.

(BTW: I got the 3-ring crankset so I could still mount a large ring for those times I actually might want it, but plan to use a BR most of the time..)

TC
    mtbr member
    this is not regular plastic but a polymer that is really tough. takes gouges, but won't crack (unless it's installed wrong with too much torque on mounting bolts as some reviewers have reported in the product reviews).
    if the thunder don't get you, then the lightning will

fuggansonofahowa
    I like mine....has a little more "3rd wheel" grip than a smooth edge one. Installed it when I decided to go 2x9. Clearance is much improved since I went 2x9 with bashie.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

plastic vs al

I have that FSA guard on one bike, and a cheap Truvativ Polycarbonate on the other. I prefer the plastic for its slipperiness when it's dry. Depends on your technique, but I don't always keep pedaling when I am crossing a log, and the Al guards will stick to it a little more. Certainly useful at times, but sometimes also the start of an endo or losing too much momentum. When it's wet and slimy out, the Al has the slight edge.

mtbr member
    Ive got a clear 36T Evil bash for sale. Its brand new. PM me.

Double-metric mtb man
    Another one here for 3 ring set-ups. This is a ring that goes outboard of the 3rd chain ring...light weight and not made for really serious stuff, but it does well if you ride a little more in the XC end of the spectrum. Personally, I ride river valley trails so the beavers leave me lots of presents to try to get over and I didn't want to leave big ring teeth everywhere. Here's what mine looks like (eNVy Ring Thing):

Please excuse the dark shot....it got dark dang early when I took the picture.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    I was curious whether or not those of you who use bashgaurds remove chain links from your chain length?

fuggansonofahowa
    Quote Originally Posted by Dengsxr
    I was curious whether or not those of you who use bashgaurds remove chain links from your chain length?
    Yes, because I went 2x9 (removed outer chainring). I measured based on SRAM chainsizing recommendations: chain around large front and around large rear + 2 links. Chain is perfect, nice and taught. Shifting is still smooth.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dengsxr
    Yes. But calculating chain length is different with a 2x or 1x setup. Instead of going big ring to big ring and adding 2 links (1 inch) as you would on a triple, I measure big ring (cassette) to mid ring on crank and add 4 links (2 inches of chain) when using a bash instead of my big ring. You may want to search 2x9 or 1x9 threads to see what others are doing.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

TJT
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by trailville
    Yes. But calculating chain length is different with a 2x or 1x setup. Instead of going big ring to big ring and adding 2 links (1 inch) as you would on a triple, I measure big ring (cassette) to mid ring on crank and add 4 links (2 inches of chain) when using a bash instead of my big ring. You may want to search 2x9 or 1x9 threads to see what others are doing.
    Really? I've never heard that... does anyone else have anything to add? I haven't found any threads which say this...

Or did you just make that up to feel important?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TJT
    Really? I've never heard that... does anyone else have anything to add? I haven't found any threads which say this...

Or did you just make that up to feel important?

Here's an explanation from Speedub.Nate on another thread. I also recall reading somewhere that when you're in your biggest usable combination, you don't want to stretch your deraileur cage forward to more than a 45 degree angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    There's nothing "official" from SRAM and Shimano, but after playing around with a 1x9, and based on some previous posts, adding an extra pair of links to the big-big rule is a good idea.

The traditional big-big rule assumes you'll not be running the big-big combo, and is there to protect you if you accidentally shift there. But with a 2x9 or 1x9 setup, the whole range of the cassette is fair game from your new "big ring," and the extra links allow a slightly more relaxed forward cage extension.
    By the way, if you want to search on 1x9 or 2x9, use Google to do a site search of forums.mtbr.com because the mtbr search doesn't work with 3-character strings.

TJT
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Makes sense. I am about to do this on my new Heckler (here next week...), and I was actually wondering today whether the big-big +2 rule was assuming that people don't use the big-big combination. I'll try it with 4 extra links to start, and see how we go....

Thanks for your help.
    TJT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast