mtbr member

Bashguard size help needed

I'm getting ready to convert SRAM X5 crankset 3x10, to 1x10. I will be keeping the middle gear 33T. What size bashguard do I need? The crankset has a 4 bolt pattern. Can I use a 104x32T bash guard?

mtbr member
    To clarify my question, will a 32T guard be too small for the 33T gear or do I need to look at a 34 or 36T guard?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jclyle View Post
    To clarify my question, will a 32T guard be too small for the 33T gear or do I need to look at a 34 or 36T guard?
    The 32 will not completely cover your chain. I would actually recommend you replace the chainring with a non-ramped model. The Salsa single speed rings work with 10 speed chains.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    If I go with a 34t single speed chainring would that work with my 10speed chain? Current chain is SRAM PC 1031.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jclyle View Post
    If I go with a 34t single speed chainring would that work with my 10speed chain? Current chain is SRAM PC 1031.
    Yes, then get a 34t bash so the chain is protected. If you're not running a chain guide, I would also use a chain catcher, even a cheap one like the N-Gear works.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog