Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Bashguard Rubbing on Front Derailleur

I can't for the life of me figure out how to make the Front Derailleur stop rubbing on the bashguard I just installed. Its on a 2011 Sx Trail2, if that helps in figuring it out. SLX Derailleur and 2-by front set up. Any ideas other than filing down the BG? It's rubbing on the bottom edge of the Derailleur and putting a gash into the BG.

Thanks

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by bran12081 View Post
    I can't for the life of me figure out how to make the Front Derailleur stop rubbing on the bashguard I just installed. Its on a 2011 Sx Trail2, if that helps in figuring it out. SLX Derailleur and 2-by front set up. Any ideas other than filing down the BG? It's rubbing on the bottom edge of the Derailleur and putting a gash into the BG.

Thanks
    Raise the FD. If you can not do that you need a smaller diameter bash.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Raise the FD. If you can not do that you need a smaller diameter bash.
    Is there a certain screw that would do that or do I need to take it all the way off and then put a spacer or something in?

Mountain Man Dan
    Undo the clamp, and move the FD up until it does not rub. Tighten it back down.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Ok, thanks for the help. I didn't know there was play at that angle, I will try it tonight

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I am not sure how his bash can be hitting the derailleur. My Race Face bash is only slightly bigger than the 32T ring it's protecting. The bash is smaller in diameter than the 44T ring it is replacing.

Maybe we need a pic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MaukaRunner View Post
    I am not sure how his bash can be hitting the derailleur. My Race Face bash is only slightly bigger than the 32T ring it's protecting. The bash is smaller in diameter than the 44T ring it is replacing.

Maybe we need a pic.
    Here's a couple of pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bashguard Rubbing on Front Derailleur-photo-5-.jpg  

Bashguard Rubbing on Front Derailleur-securedownload.jpg  

Bashguard Rubbing on Front Derailleur-photo-6-.jpg  

Last edited by bran12081; 07-25-2011 at 10:26 PM.

Maybe we need a pic.
    Because bash rings ARE larger diameter than the chainring. The stock crankset is a double and never had a 44T ring.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Specialized direct mount derailleur? Looks like the lower end of the derailleur is too close to the bash. My wife has a Safire but I never adjusted it yet. Can the derailleur be rotated clockwise if looking from above? The derailleur cage should be parallel to the bash if looking from directly above.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    If you rotate it in, you will need to adjust the thing again as it will pull your chain down towards the granny.

If you rotate it in, you will need to adjust the thing again as it will pull your chain down towards the granny.
    Angle adjustment will make ZERO difference in the bash clearance. The FD just needs to be raised (if posible).
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Because bash rings ARE larger diameter than the chainring. The stock crankset is a double and never had a 44T ring.
    True, but it's protecting a 30 something ring not a 44.

I got two Race Face ones and a Straitline and none are larger in diameter than my 44.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    From what I see in the pic the rear part of the derailleur looks to be almost a 1/4" closer than the front. If he had a triple the derailleur should clear the bash when shifting to the top. But hey, I'm not a expert, I just stayed at Holiday Inn Express.

From what I see in the pic the rear part of the derailleur looks to be almost a 1/4" closer than the front. If he had a triple the derailleur should clear the bash when shifting to the top. But hey, I'm not a expert, I just stayed at Holiday Inn Express.
    No, you are FAR from an expert. You are the one that brought up the 44t ring and it has no relivance here.

His bike has never had an outer chainring nor is it designed for one.

The bash he installed is larger than his chainring.

When you install something larger diameter than what was there before you RAISE the FD. Period.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    How would I go about raising it? Would there be a screw that would move the position in that direction?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I installed the new bash guard after break the bolts on the default one in 2 weeks lol, not the best I compared the size of the old one briefly when buying it and it seemed similar in size but apparently not haha

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    No, you are FAR from an expert. You are the one that brought up the 44t ring and it has no relivance here.

His bike has never had an outer chainring nor is it designed for one.

The bash he installed is larger than his chainring.

When you install something larger diameter than what was there before you RAISE the FD. Period.
    If you read my post, I never said he had a 44. I am saying that my bash is smaller than my 44.

It's funny that you say I am "NOT" an expert when you don't even know who I am and I never claimed to be an expert.

I just posted what I observed from the photo he took and it is my opinion. Perhaps he OP should take it to a real bike shop and have it fixed by a real expert.

I'm just trying to help the guy out and I'm ending my contribution here.

If you read my post, I never said he had a 44. I am saying that my bash is smaller than my 44.

It's funny that you say I am "NOT" an expert when you don't even know who I am and I never claimed to be an expert.

I just posted what I observed from the photo he took and it is my opinion. Perhaps he OP should take it to a real bike shop and have it fixed by a real expert.

I'm just trying to help the guy out.
    Experts do not make suggestions that have no relevance to the problem and misinformation is worse than not all.
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by bran12081 View Post
    How would I go about raising it? Would there be a screw that would move the position in that direction?
    It is not a screw like the high/low limits.
    Look at where the FD bolts to the frame. Loosen bolts. Move FD. Tighten bolts.
    Hopefully the FD is not already at the top of the adjustment range.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Experts do not make suggestions that have no relevance to the problem and misinformation is worse than not all.
    Hey, sorry man. I guess not being a mod and having my own website makes me a dumb a$$. But hey it's cool, like I said, I'm not going to further contribute to this thread.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    It is not a screw like the high/low limits.
    Look at where the FD bolts to the frame. Loosen bolts. Move FD. Tighten bolts.
    Hopefully the FD is not already at the top of the adjustment range.
    Ahhhh! Good call, ok going to go try that out

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    couldn't quite tell if they were at the top end of their adjustments, but I do know I am going to have to take this puppy apart again to get at them

Dirt Deviant
    Looks like a direct mount or E-Type front derailleur.
    Some Direct mount type derailleurs DO have 2 positions that the mech can be mounted to.
    I am going to attach a couple pics below that will show you how to do it.
    As I am typing this I just remembered alot of specialized bikes DO have the direct type mount. Especially the full suspension bikes.
    What you need to do is switch the position of the little screw boss.
    As you can see, the screw hole is offset to allow 2 height positions of the mechanism.
    As it comes stock, it should be in the position of the first picture.
    You need to switch it to the position as shown in the second picture.
    The third picture is the backside of my E-Type front mech which is very similar to what you have.

Hope this helps.
    BTW, you'll need to remove the drive side crank arm to do this.
    Also to note,
    Make sure you don't lose the washer that goes behind the derailleur for the mounting hole where it screws into the frame.
    If you look closely at the picture you can see the clean spot where the washer would be.
    This would be the left hand side bolt when looking from the drive side of the bike.
    These pictures are taken from the back side of the derailleur.
    This should give you the few mm's of clearance you need.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bashguard Rubbing on Front Derailleur-etype1.jpg  

Bashguard Rubbing on Front Derailleur-etype2.jpg  

Bashguard Rubbing on Front Derailleur-etype3.jpg  

Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann View Post
    Looks like a direct mount or E-Type front derailleur.
    Some Direct mount type derailleurs DO have 2 positions that the mech can be mounted to.
    I am going to attach a couple pics below that will show you how to do it.
    As I am typing this I just remembered alot of specialized bikes DO have the direct type mount. Especially the full suspension bikes.
    What you need to do is switch the position of the little screw boss.
    As you can see, the screw hole is offset to allow 2 height positions of the mechanism.
    As it comes stock, it should be in the position of the first picture.
    You need to switch it to the position as shown in the second picture.
    The third picture is the backside of my E-Type front mech which is very similar to what you have.

Hope this helps.
    BTW, you'll need to remove the drive side crank arm to do this.
    Also to note,
    Make sure you don't lose the washer that goes behind the derailleur for the mounting hole where it screws into the frame.
    If you look closely at the picture you can see the clean spot where the washer would be.
    This would be the left hand side bolt when looking from the drive side of the bike.
    These pictures are taken from the back side of the derailleur.
    This should give you the few mm's of clearance you need.
    Perfect, yea, hopefully it won't be in max position, going to try it today and see what happens. Mauka sent me the manual http://service.specialized.com/colla...FSR-Manual.pdf which I never got from the dealer, so that shows the exact same thing you are referring to. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    So took the cranks off and it turns out the screws that adjust the height are at max, so it looks like I am going to have to shave the BG down a bit with a dremel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast