mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Bashguard or not?

I am currently in the process of switching from 3x9 to 2x9, and i have all the parts laid out in front of me...i find myself wondering if i really want/need the bashguard.

I ride fairly agressive xc with a bit of tech, and my 44t big ring is missing teeth, however the new chainrings (blackspire super pro) are way burlier than the original truvativ ones, although i still worry about killing my chain/ring on the wrong rock.

Pros/cons? Opinions?

dwt
    mtbr member
    You probably don't "need" a bash if your second ring is 32, 34 or 36T.

I actually just made the same move, though probably with lower gearing than you. I have a SS with a 32T Stylo 1.1, and a geared bike with a Stylo triple 44-32-22. Since the 44T is more of an obstacle catcher than a ring I actually use that much, I removed it from the triple and put it away. Took the bash off the 1.1, installed it in place of the 44T, then reinstalled the 32T back on the SS with spacers.

So now the SS has no bash and the double does. I could have just left the bash on the SS and built the double without a bash. Certainly with a 32T max ring on both these bikes, there is plenty of clearance. The bash is aesthetics only, not function.

Maybe I'll switch it around next time I get bored. Or leave them both without a bash. It's dead weight
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

addicted to chunk
    I was on the fence about bash or not when I switched to 1x9.

I decided to do a bash, glad I did. Hit many rocks & logs with it, likely would have damaged the more expensive 30T ring.
    Riding.....

Former Bike Wrench
    Pros-chain and chainring protected from rocks, bike slides over logs instead of catching on them.

Cons-weight if your a weight weenie I guess

I have little in rocks but lots of logs and I wouldn't ride without one, been 2x9 since 2003.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by gergroy
    I am currently in the process of switching from 3x9 to 2x9, and i have all the parts laid out in front of me...i find myself wondering if i really want/need the bashguard.

I ride fairly agressive xc with a bit of tech, and my 44t big ring is missing teeth, however the new chainrings (blackspire super pro) are way burlier than the original truvativ ones, although i still worry about killing my chain/ring on the wrong rock.

Pros/cons? Opinions?
    If you ever rock log overs, tall rocks, descents with root drops, get the bash ring.
    I got hung up on a root and bent a 36T before installed one.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

~Disc~Golf~
    IMO, no reason not to - unless your a weight weenie
    Honestly... ahh I give up