Special Lister

Which bash/guide combo?

I just bought a new set of Saint M815 cranks with a 36T ring and a bashguard. It will go on my Phoenix which already has a E13 LG+1 guide/tensioner system. My intent was to not use the bash guard the cranks came with and keep the E13 I have on there now. But now I am thinking of keeping the bash guard on and removing the E13 and replacing it with just a Blackspire Stinger chain tensioner. I worry that there may not be enough clearance inbetween the Blackspire tensioner roller and the bash gaurd on the cranks for the chain to go through smooth. Does any have any pictures of this same set up and what would everyone suggest?

mtbr member
    The stinger should sit just at the bash guard. The Stinger instructions advise for the roller to actually just touch the bash. I have mine just off the bash because I didn't have enough adjustment.

I'm not sure what you're visualizing, but the mount is slotted so you can slide the roller out to clear whatever size ring/bash you are running.

Not Saint cranks, but this may help. SLX double with 32tooth bash. Roller at minimum adjustment. I can get more pics if you need.

Special Lister
    Thanks for the picture. Do you know if it will work on a 36t with a bashguard?

mtbr member
    I measure 13mm more travel on mine. They're website says it'll work with up to 40 tooth chainrings, so your 36 should be no problem.

Special Lister
    How does it slide over the roller? I mean is it smooth? I have a MRP set up on my 575 with a wheel not a roller. Just wonder how different it will feel?

mtbr member
    It's a fairly light durometer rubber. It's more of a light vibration than a noise, can't hear it over the tires on pavement or rough ground. Real smooth though.

On the inside ring the chain barely rubs the aluminum mount when in small/small. A little bend out made it better.