Thread: Bash guards

Fox Shox

Bash guards

Hey guys,

I am going to be building up a new bike soon , and was wondering whether bash guards can be mounted without sacrificing a ring. I have searched the web but can't find anything. I will be using a saint single ring crankset.

Cheers
    If i go to hell i'm taking my mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    BBG sells a spacer ring so you can mount a bashguard on the ring rather than the spider - but don't think it would work for the Saint. The Saint has nowhere to mount a bash.
    Products
    SPACER RING
    3MM-1/8 THICK. 10
    GRAMS. USE THESE TO
    SPACE THE GUARD AWAY
    FROM THE THIRD BIG
    RING.

mtbr member
    I am not sure what your question is? You are running a single ring crank, so you will not be sacrificing a ring........

You could try a Hope IBR - chain ring with an integrated bash ring....

Fox Shox
    Saint double ring crankset comes with a bash, but I only want/need 1 ring. If saint sold a double ring setup without a bash, I would buy that and replace the bigger ring with a bash. Or can the bash on the Saint double ring with a bash be removed? Could I just take the bash and big ring off, put a spacer where the big ring was, and put the bash back on?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thredbo View Post
    Saint double ring crankset comes with a bash, but I only want/need 1 ring. If saint sold a double ring setup without a bash, I would buy that and replace the bigger ring with a bash.
    So you only want the small ring?

Or can the bash on the Saint double ring with a bash be removed?
    Yes, just use shorter chain ring bolts.

Could I just take the bash and big ring off, put a spacer where the big ring was, and put the bash back on?
    Now you want it back?!?! Again, if you do not want the big ring, remove it, use shorter chain ring bolts and re-attach the bash ring.

Fox Shox
    Thank you for your reply, and I apologise for not being clearer. So if I want a single ring saint setup with a bash, I should get the double with a bash, take the bash and big ring off, and reinstall bash with shorter bolts. Do I have to put a spacer in where the big ring was?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    If you buy a Saint single crankset it will come with a ring in the middle position and shaped chainring bolts that take up the outside position. I'm not sure if the normal outside ring position on the spider is machined to accept a bash or not.
    I see there is a Saint single available with a factory bash guard - not sure if you can actually buy it.
    If you buy a Saint double crankset, it comes with a bash in the outer position, a middle chainring and a granny chainring. No outer chain ring. To make it a single you would take the granny off.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830728277.pdf
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830799256.pdf

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thredbo View Post
    Thank you for your reply, and I apologise for not being clearer. So if I want a single ring saint setup with a bash, I should get the double with a bash, take the bash and big ring off, and reinstall bash with shorter bolts. Do I have to put a spacer in where the big ring was?
    If I were you, I would remove the small ring and leave the big ring and bash. Part of the reason for having the bash is also chain retention. If you have a large gap between the bash and the small ring, then you will get frustrated by chain drops between the two.