mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Bash guard for a triple?

I have a Shimano M442 Octalink, 44/32/22 crankset. Is there a bashguard that will work with this crankset? I don't care if it replaces the big ring altogether.

When I look at them and they say will cover up to a 32 tooth chainring does that mean it replaces the big ring and protects the smaller two rings? Or does that mean it bolts on to the same holes as the big ring and that is all that it will protect due to its diameter?

If they don't make them then I will make my own. I just don't really have the time right now and buying one would be easier.

mtbr member
    You'll need a bash guard that fits a 104bcd, readily available from any # of companies.The ones that cover up to a 32 tooth chainring do indeed replace the outer ring.

Blackspire makes one that'll cover the outer ring (the "big ring protector"). Heavy as hell though and expensive but its a half inch thick plate of aluminum and should take a beating.
    Alea Jacta Est

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    There are a lot of bash guards that will replace the big ring and fit your cranks, they should be easy to find.

If you would like to keep the big ring there are fewer options. Salsa make the Tooth Fariy Triple, Race Face makes the Triple Bash, Grivin makes a Rock Ring Triple, Blackspire makes the C4 big ring, and MRP makes the XGC which is a cool BB mounted one.
    Last edited by big_papa_nuts; 12-30-2010 at 08:45 PM.

Rub it............
    I'm using the Race Face Atlas bash. Works great on my SLX crank.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks for clearing that up. I went with the Blackspire big ring.