mmm

Bad experiences with Shimano chain/Sram Powerlink?

Has anyone had a bad experience running a Shimano chain with a Sram Powerlink. Coming down an extended rocky section (+1 miles), the Powerlink on my XTR chain popped off. All hell breaks loose with a chain dragging down the trail and next thing you know I break a spoke from the loose chain.

My question is, did this happen specifically because of the Sram/Shimano combo or was it just dumb luck?
    Last edited by timehoc; 06-18-2007 at 09:33 AM.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Select Start

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have had the same happen where it just falls apart. Its a bit of a weak point in my opinion. I just got used to cleaning the drive train on the bike now rather than removing the chain.

Auto-x addict
    Not only have I had that happen (with both Shimano and SRAM chains), but I've never been able to undo a SRAM powerlink when I wanted to without a pair of pliers/bloody knuckles.

I've been using Wipperman Connex links for several years now with zero trouble. Chain comes right off for cleaning, but stays put while on the trail.

One thing I should point out, though. Connex links are sided. Look closely and you'll notice that the link sideplate is shaped slightly like this: (
    Make sure that the inside of the curve is closest to your cassette or the skipping while in the small cog will drive you insane!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I've used SRAM powerlinks on both SRAM and Shimano chains for years and tens of thousands of miles on a few different bikes and have never had any problems. Once I figured out you have to squeeze the plates together as you move the pins to the outlet (look all of a minute on my first try) I've never had any problems undoing the powerlink.

I'm not much of a SRAM fan, but I LOVE the powerlink.

mtbr member
    May 2006

No probs with Shmano Chain and SRAM Powerlink

Used this combo for years - no issues!

Chaser.

mtbr member
    No issues with the Shimano/SRAM Power link combo either but have to wonder why it can be troublesome!
    "Carpe diem, quam minimun credula postero"- Seize the day, trust as little as possible in tomorrow.(Horace)

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Never had a problem with the Powerlink, but I have much more experience using Connex links like VVV.

Flawless. Easy to undo. Never popped open accidentally.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by VpointVick
    Not only have I had that happen (with both Shimano and SRAM chains), but I've never been able to undo a SRAM powerlink when I wanted to without a pair of pliers/bloody knuckles.

I've been using Wipperman Connex links for several years now with zero trouble. Chain comes right off for cleaning, but stays put while on the trail.

One thing I should point out, though. Connex links are sided. Look closely and you'll notice that the link sideplate is shaped slightly like this: (
    Make sure that the inside of the curve is closest to your cassette or the skipping while in the small cog will drive you insane!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I've been using SRAM Powerlinks on Shimano chains for a while now with no issues.

Regarding the problem reports in this thread, I honestly don't think that these issues have anything to do with the Powerlink/Shimano combo. My guess is that whatever issues were experienced, they would have happened with SRAM chains as well, and I can't help wondering if in some cases, the Powerlink was not correctly closed (which can happen if you don't specifically check for correct installation.)

Also, I don't understand the report of difficulty removing the Powerlink. As long as you apply pressure correctly, it's not difficult to remove.

Larry

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Today I did one bunny hop on a road ride and my silver 8 sp. powerlink disconnected itself from my shimano hg50 8 sp. chain. This was my second ride with it. At first the link was very stiff and impossible to remove, it even caused skipping on the smaller cogs. Now after a day, it comes off much too easily.

thecentralscrutinizer
    I have thousands of off-road miles on the Shimano/sram powerlink combo with absolutely no troubles.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by olivermajewski
    Today I did one bunny hop on a road ride and my silver 8 sp. powerlink disconnected itself from my shimano hg50 8 sp. chain. This was my second ride with it. At first the link was very stiff and impossible to remove, it even caused skipping on the smaller cogs. Now after a day, it comes off much too easily.
    Are you positive that the link was fully engaged on BOTH sides? If you don't press the sides together when installing it, it might be possible to have one side engaged buy not the other, which could explain your skipping issue (since one side would have been sticking out too far.

I'd recommend inspecting it and confirming that both sides are in fact fully engaged -- it may have been bent if it was run with only one side engaged.

I've been using a powerlink for quite a while now with absolutely no problems.

Larry

Bike Junkie

Powerlink

I've never broken a 9-spd powerlink or had any issues. I have snapped a wipperman connex powerlink on a short steep climb. I believe that the shimano chain with powerlink to be the best combo. I agree that the connex link is WAY easier to use than the powerlink. The wipperman version is not foolproof since you have to install it properly.
    See You On The Trails!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VpointVick

SRAM link are really quite simple to remove if you read the directions! All you have to do is squeeze the sides together and they will slide and disengage for you.

I've run this combo for years and never had a problem.

Captain Underpants
    I have used the 9 speed powerlink with a dura-ace chain with no issues whatsoever.

XTR is the shizz-nizz...
    I've been using a Shimano 9spd chain with SRAM powerlink for about 4 years now without any issues...

Cheezy Rider
    I don't know what it is about the Powerlink...sometimes it pops right off, other times I have to wrestle with it for half an hour. Bought a Wipperman 2 years ago, never takes more than a minute to get it off.