mtbr member
    Jan 2008

A bad day out for my drivetrain

Hello everyone,

I was out yesterday riding hitting some dirt jumps and single track with a buddy. I had ridden to the bottom of the trail and had down shifted about three times as i turned around to prepare to climb to the top. There was a lovely noise, that told me that the bike was not happy with me for shifting up like that, then the chain stuck. After further inspection the chain somehow has come of the bottom gear on the rear derailleur (the one closet to the ground when your riding) and was kind of wedged between the gear and the cage. I free'd up the chain and figured i was good to go.

I hopped back on the bike and started cranking hard toward the top the hill, when there was a nice snap and my knee got driven into the bars (Thank you Fox launch pro knee pads!!!). I looked back and saw my chain laying on the ground with a nicely bent masterlink.Lucky for me my buddy had a spare masterlink in his pack, and I was once again good to go.

I put the bike in a nice granny gear, and climbed to the top of the hill with out any incidence thinking that nothing else could possibly else go wrong after that. Back at the top of the run, I shift down into the smallest gear so I can get a good pedaling start into the trail, only to find after about 3-4 strokes theres a nice clang and my knee once again is being sent into the bars. This time the chains still on, but it seems to to be skipping around alot but not into different gears, just seems to be jumping off and then back on again. This is only happening in the smallest 3 or so gears, and only really in the middle ring as I noticed the gears were working fine in the big ring, but havent tested the granny just yet.

The drive train is all Shimano SLX, on a GT Force 2.0. Sorry for the long winded post, just hoping to provide as much info as possible so that I might get this resolved.

Thanks for reading!

Marcus

Class Clown
    Might just need to re-index the rear derailleur, check out the park tools rear derailleur adjustment guide. I would also re-check the limit screws first.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for the tip dun, I checked my limit screws and tried re-indexing my rear derailleur but with no luck. While the bike shifts better, I am still experiencing the nice clunking sound accompanied by the chain skipping on the rear gears. Could it be possible that the rear derailleur got bent when the chain got twisted up in it?

I just want to get this fixed, I got a trip planned for snow summit this weekend, and mammoth the following weekend.

Thanks once again.

Marcus

Class Clown
    Quote Originally Posted by Bollucks View Post
    Could it be possible that the rear derailleur got bent when the chain got twisted up in it?
    I suppose it's possible. Might want to let a shop look at it they have some nice tools to measure this sort of thing, could be the hanger bent a little.

Rub it............
    You probably bent a link or two on the chain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Is there any method you would recommend for checking the chain?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bollucks View Post
    Is there any method you would recommend for checking the chain?
    A ruler is all you really need. Do a web search for Sheldon Brown and chains, he wrote an article on checking for chain wear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for the recommendation. Looks like the skipping is due to a worn chain, which would make perfect sense seeing as it broke. I should have realized the new master link was merely a bandaid fix to get back to the car.

The upside to this is that I have learned how to tuned my derailleurs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    what chain do you guys recommend?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I Would also check on the teeth of your cogs and chainring. They could be worn down or just slightly bent causing it to skip. I had this issue and kept riding and my chain would continually break links due to the bending and damage from the bent teeth. I just replaced the cogs and chainrings that were bent and it fixed the issue.
    Have you checked your derailler alignment as well? Good luck hope you get it fixed up.

- RizeNclimb
    "SHUT UP LEGS" -Thor Hushovd