almost there!

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Bad batch of XT cogsets!? (too loose)

I think Shimano really fucced up with this new batch of XT cog sets.

I recently had to replace my whole drive train, and when I put the new XT cogset on all 3 sets of my back wheels, it was loose on all of em. My old XT cogset fit perfectly, same with an LX cogset I have (on all 3 wheels). And when I went back to my bike shop with my wheel we tried about 6 other XT cogsets and all of them were loose - and I think they are the new ones (2005).

Well the only solution they had was upgrade me to an XTR or try an LX - I didn't feel like paying another $100 for the XTR so I went with the LX. And the LX fit perfectly on the 1st try.

Shimano has to fix this problem ASAP or they are going to have a lot of less than happy customers. The LX cogset definitely feels heavier, but at least it seems sturdy.

My advice is if you need to buy a new cogset and you're considering an XT, take your wheel to the store to make sure it fits before you take it home. This will save you the hassle of going back to the store after finding out that it is loose...

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Ye, it's pretty crap.

Although just a bandaid fix, you could use a tiny little spacer/shim and that would fix the problem...

I know WTB/AM classic supply this shim with their hubs...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    Ye, it's pretty crap.

Although just a bandaid fix, you could use a tiny little spacer/shim and that would fix the problem...

I know WTB/AM classic supply this shim with their hubs...
    This happens with the old Xt cassettes too. Supposedly its not the cassette but the 11/12 tooth is not grooved deep enough, try an old one from a cassette you know that works it usually makes things fit tighter.

I think Wtb/AmClassic shim was to space the cassette out a hair for spoke clearance on their high flange hubs but yes it works great in this application.

mtbr member
    This happens with the old Xt cassettes too. Supposedly its not the cassette but the 11/12 tooth is not grooved deep enough, try an old one from a cassette you know that works it usually makes things fit tighter.
    Yes, this is true. I had this problem with a king freewheel/shimano xt cassette a little over a year ago. I tried an old 11 tooth and it fit perfectly. As said a small shim behind the cassette will fix the problem. I cant believe it hasn't been a bigger deal than it has been.

super absorbent
    Quote Originally Posted by toad
    Yes, this is true. I had this problem with a king freewheel/shimano xt cassette a little over a year ago. I tried an old 11 tooth and it fit perfectly. As said a small shim behind the cassette will fix the problem. I cant believe it hasn't been a bigger deal than it has been.

I shimmed mine BETWEEN the cassette and freehub body using slivers cut from a soda can. I'm not sure how shimming behind the cassette would help but who knows. Next time I remove my cassette I will try teflon plumbers tape as was suggested to me by someone in another thread. I'm thinking that using the teflon tape would be a good bit easier than trying to situate the little slivers of aluminum in place...it was a pain but it worked.
    The more complicated it is, the more that can go wrong.