Back Pedaling Issue

Printable View

• 12-10-2012
    ronyc
    Back Pedaling Issue
    Hi
    Currently finishing up a Tallboy LTc with a 1x10. I am running AKA crank arms with a 30t bling ring. I just installed an MRP Lopes ISCG 05 and everything seems fine until I start back pedaling on the easiest gear (biggest cog). As I am back pedaling, the chain slowing goes to the next gear. This only happens on the biggest cog. Not sure if this is really an issue or am I just being anal?

Thanks in advance
  • 12-11-2012
    LyNx
    Check the LOW limit screw on your RD, sounds like it might be just a tad off, as in needs backing off just a bit. Another possibility is your chainline, it could be off, Do you know what it is? Does the chain look seriously cross chained when in the big rear cog?
  • 12-11-2012
    Pedalphile
    ^^^I'll second that.
  • 12-11-2012
    dwt
    Also make sure jockey wheels in RD are clean, oiled and spinning freely. If so, is the freehub spinning smoothly?
  • 12-11-2012
    Wheelman55
    Make sure that the derailleur hanger is true. A slightly bent hanger will give shifting problems in the biggest cogs since the lower jockey wheel is furthest away from the cassette when in the big cog.
  • 12-12-2012
    AlexRandall
    Don't pedal backward

Quite frankly on the most extreme of chain angles this is most likely to happen. You can perhaps make it better, but it will always want to do this.