mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Back pedaling = droping chain

Hey guys, I am having a problem. I have an 04 Spec. Big Hit Comp. I just bought its brand new 2 months ago. Today it started having a problem. Everytime I back pedal or hold the pedals still while i'm coasting the chain gets loose. The rear derailuer's chain tensior swings up and makes the chain loose. Its a pain in the butt, because I have to pedal at all times even if I'm coasting. I was wondering if you any of you know how to fix this in order to avoid a trip to the LBS. Thanks!

1x9'er
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy350
    Hey guys, I am having a problem. I have an 04 Spec. Big Hit Comp. I just bought its brand new 2 months ago. Today it started having a problem. Everytime I back pedal or hold the pedals still while i'm coasting the chain gets loose. The rear derailuer's chain tensior swings up and makes the chain loose. Its a pain in the butt, because I have to pedal at all times even if I'm coasting. I was wondering if you any of you know how to fix this in order to avoid a trip to the LBS. Thanks!
    I find that when the derailuer is out of adjustment, the chain doesn't want to run smoothly when pedaling backwards. Does it shift good? Usually just adjusting the cable's barrel adjuster a bit solves the problem, to put the derailuer pulley in line with the cog the chain is on and smooth out how the chain runs. Also check that your derailuer pulleys are clean and spinning smoothly. They may need some grease on the bushings.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Thanks

Thanks ill try that in the morning. It sounds like it could be possible. It has been shifting really well up until recently, so that seems like it could easily be the problem.Thanks again!!