GNR
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

B-tension screw 'ripped off'...need help

After running over a stick and getting it caught both in the chain AND between by cassette and rear der., the cage was sticking into my rear wheel spokes. I stopped to assess the damage and my rear der. was UPSIDE DOWN. I haven't ever seen this, but after I wiggled the stick loose, I had to loosen the der. bolt to get it to swing back into normal position. As I did this, the B-tension screw, along with the screw's housing, I guess I would call it, went missing from the rear der. I tried to ride again, but the der. cable had been ripped out and the der. was bumping my cassette as if I had no B-tension, because it didn't have any and the screw and however it attaches to the rear der was gone. Does this sound like a Tales from the Crypt episode where I'll be ponying up for a new der. or will I be able to salvage this one and ride again soon? Thanks for any help.

Village Dirtbag
    A similar thing happened to me about a year ago, although my B-tension screw was hanging by a thread rather than being ripped clean off. Unfortunately, I had to buy a new dreailer. If you or someone you know (local bike shop?) have an old derailer of the same make or model laying around you may be able to salvage the part. I think there may also be such a thing as a derailer rebuild kit that has the part, but I wouldn't know where to get such a thing, or if it is even worthwhile.
    Attached Images Attached Images

GNR
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Nice picture

Thanks for posting this pic...this is exactly what happened, only lost the screw and tab completely...2002 XTR rear mech...just sold my spare. DOH! Thanks again.

mtbr member
    You order the part thru your LBS from shimano.Its called a B-axle assembly.Which derailleur you got? Got one for my XTR. Of course you need to know how to put it on. Ain't hard if you've done it a few times.Look on shimano website, here's XT http://bike.shimano.com/media/cyclin...9830494493.pdf
    Last edited by skywaybuzz; 05-08-2005 at 07:08 AM.

mtbr member

You can easily use it without :

Just pre tension the RD by twisting it into position before tightening down on the mounting bolt. You will need to drop the chain off the granny, and twist the RD until the stop (now missing) clears the matching hanger stop.

If it too loose/ too tigh, just loosen the bolt then tweak 1/8-1/4 turn on the

I've been running a 950 XTR this way for years....

Quote Originally Posted by GNR
    After running over a stick and getting it caught both in the chain AND between by cassette and rear der., the cage was sticking into my rear wheel spokes. I stopped to assess the damage and my rear der. was UPSIDE DOWN. I haven't ever seen this, but after I wiggled the stick loose, I had to loosen the der. bolt to get it to swing back into normal position. As I did this, the B-tension screw, along with the screw's housing, I guess I would call it, went missing from the rear der. I tried to ride again, but the der. cable had been ripped out and the der. was bumping my cassette as if I had no B-tension, because it didn't have any and the screw and however it attaches to the rear der was gone. Does this sound like a Tales from the Crypt episode where I'll be ponying up for a new der. or will I be able to salvage this one and ride again soon? Thanks for any help.