Savvy?

B screw adjuster broken...options?

I just replaced a bent derailleur hanger, after an encounter with a stick. As I was putting the new hanger on, I noticed that the metal stop(the little metal piece below the actual screw) on the b-screw adjuster was bent...and seconds later it finished the job and broke off.
    I called a LBS and they said that it was pretty much futile to try and replace it because that part is installed onto the derailleur by a machine, and that I'd have to get a new derailleur.

I don't like the idea of having to get a new XTR rear derailleur, with only about 4 1/2 months on this one. Are there any options to fixing this? or am I stuck buying a new derailleur?
    That which does not kill me, postpones the inevitable.

mtbr member
    Go on the Shimano site and look for the actual part # then have a bike shop call Shimano to order it. Thats what I did for my XTR that I used for DH. After I replaced it it broke off again 4 monhts later. Its Very tricky to get back together once you remove the c- clip, but with a needle nose and screwdriver you can get the c-clip back on. The XTR stuff is lightweight so its not as strong as the heavier derailleur "105".

Savvy?
    Quote Originally Posted by skywaybuzz
    Go on the Shimano site and look for the actual part # then have a bike shop call Shimano to order it. Thats what I did for my XTR that I used for DH. After I replaced it it broke off again 4 monhts later. Its Very tricky to get back together once you remove the c- clip, but with a needle nose and screwdriver you can get the c-clip back on. The XTR stuff is lightweight so its not as strong as the heavier derailleur "105".

I tried with all my might, but I couldn't get the clip off...so I just ponied up for a new derailleur.
    That which does not kill me, postpones the inevitable.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanL
    I tried with all my might, but I couldn't get the clip off...so I just ponied up for a new derailleur.
    I'll give you $10 for your busted derailleur. I have a bag full of busted XTR derailleurs in various states of disrepair but I'm still missing a couple parts.
    Long Live Long Rides