mtbr member
    Aug 2007

B-adjustment screw on X.9 RD

Just installed a new x.9 long derailer. SRAM says to have 6mm gap between cogset and pully. For me to accomplish this I have to have the B-screw basically out. Anyone else face this situation? Im just riding now with the gap about 9-10mm just so I can have the b-screw in at a safe depth. Shifting seems fine but wondering if it could be better. Did I mess something up on the install or is it sometimes normal for b-screw to need to be let out out the way?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by moontz
    Just installed a new x.9 long derailer. SRAM says to have 6mm gap between cogset and pully. For me to accomplish this I have to have the B-screw basically out. Anyone else face this situation? Im just riding now with the gap about 9-10mm just so I can have the b-screw in at a safe depth. Shifting seems fine but wondering if it could be better. Did I mess something up on the install or is it sometimes normal for b-screw to need to be let out out the way?
    I have the same situation. I run the srew in enough to just put some tension. It is practically all the way out. I had the same thing with my Shimano RD.

Ride or die
    I have the same issue. I put some blue loctight on it to keep it from falling out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Same here. I can only follow those directions if I am setting up a rear cassette that has 32 or 34 tooth large cog. If you are running anything smaller (I have a 30 tooth 8 speed) then the 6mm is useless.
    ... And I Am You,
    And What I See Is Me!

it's....
    Same for me with 32 cassette.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I run a 32. I can get the 6mm basically if the screw is completely removed. Seems odd... Wonder if the hanger is longer than what they speced for the x9. Only say that because a 32 or 34 is pretty popular I would think.