mtbr member

ATTN Gurus: Will this work for: 1 x 6 or 1 x 4 ?

I would greatly appreciate some experts help me poke holes in my current plan and tighten it up before I plunk down my ducats.

I have been finding some encouraging information on my searches, but I want to post up specific plans and get some feedback. This hardtail is currently setup SS, and I would like more range.

I am planning on running a 1 x 6 (or x 4 or 5) drivetrain with the following components:

Stuff I already have (so ideally could be used):

Frame BB spacing is 68mm; its an evil D.O.C.
    Sram AKA crankset
    Hope Singlespeed specific Pro 2 EVO rear hub (primary driver of project...i like this wheel)
    Sram x9 9 speed long cage rear der
    28t spiderless chainring from HBC (purchased not recieved, yes I know it will be a while)
    32t and 34t chainrings

Stuff I intend to buy for this project (I'm fine changing this list to make the system work better):

Sram x0 9 speed shifter (standard trigger)
    DMR Viral 28t - 38t chainguide with BB mount (will be used going fast over techy terrain)
    Sram pg 970 9 speed cassettes (was planning on buying 2 then assembling appropriate cogs for given chainring)

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Is there some reason you don't want to just convert it to 1x9?

edit: nevermind, it took me a moment to realize what you're doing

mtbr member
    yeah

i searched a different way and found this thread Hope single speed hub or hope standard hub?

and it looks like there might be more to find in the 29er forum on this

it looks like the sram can be made to work wiht a little more finagling (special spacers for der mount and xtra long limit screws) but the shimano stuff seems to work a bit better out of the box

I may go with the new zee stuff instead on this...

EDIT: OK for some reason its a pain in the neck to use search function for this but here seems to be the motherload on this topic...

6 cogs on a SS hub -- best solution?
    Last edited by ride the biscuit; 01-08-2013 at 01:06 PM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ride the biscuit View Post
    I would greatly appreciate some experts help me poke holes in my current plan and tighten it up before I plunk down my ducats.

I have been finding some encouraging information on my searches, but I want to post up specific plans and get some feedback. This hardtail is currently setup SS, and I would like more range.

I am planning on running a 1 x 6 (or x 4 or 5) drivetrain with the following components:

Stuff I already have (so ideally could be used):

Frame BB spacing is 68mm; its an evil D.O.C.
    Sram AKA crankset
    Hope Singlespeed specific Pro 2 EVO rear hub (primary driver of project...i like this wheel)
    Sram x9 9 speed long cage rear der
    28t spiderless chainring from HBC (purchased not recieved, yes I know it will be a while)
    32t and 34t chainrings

Stuff I intend to buy for this project (I'm fine changing this list to make the system work better):

Sram x0 9 speed shifter (standard trigger)
    DMR Viral 28t - 38t chainguide with BB mount (will be used going fast over techy terrain)
    Sram pg 970 9 speed cassettes (was planning on buying 2 then assembling appropriate cogs for given chainring)
    This is my setup: Yes, I am going 10-speed

SRAM RDs do not play well with narrow cassettes.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    This is my setup: Yes, I am going 10-speed

SRAM RDs do not play well with narrow cassettes.
    yeah, i had finnaly gathered that about the sram stuff. looks like some people have put a 2mm spacer between the derailleur and hanger...dont like the looks of that for rough trails!

I am now planning to run the new shimano Zee 10 speed stuff with this same setup...any idea if I would encounter a problem with that?

Lastly, if you are feeling generous, care to recommend a cassette for this application that is priced in the $50-$75 range

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ride the biscuit View Post
    yeah, i had finnaly gathered that about the sram stuff. looks like some people have put a 2mm spacer between the derailleur and hanger...dont like the looks of that for rough trails!

I am now planning to run the new shimano Zee 10 speed stuff with this same setup...any idea if I would encounter a problem with that?

Lastly, if you are feeling generous, care to recommend a cassette for this application that is priced in the $50-$75 range
    The cogs you use depend on the gearing range you want.

I wanted wide range ratios. Currently 12-32 5-sp. May switch to a 12-34 using old hyerglide cogs. I also wanted more physical space between cogs. All the reasoning and how I did it are in the linked thread.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common