mtbr member

Atomlab quiksteps 2005 vs 2006

Does anyone know the difference between 05' and 06' atomlab quikstep pedals? There seems to be scarce info about their specs and performance on the net. The only things I know are that the 06' model is lighter, but by how much? And the 06' model's platform seems to provide less traction.

Besides, how's their durability? I know both models have chromoly spindles so I'm kind of worried how much abuse they can take.

Any input is appreciated!

mtbr member
    I have the 06 models, i read a bunch of posts on the various models. I love mine. tho, i tent to go more towrds the freeride end of the spectrum, and thus hae switched back to platforms. they still rock, i just dont like to be clipped in while doing stupid stuff..
    There is no adjustments to be made with them as far as release pressure. i think its perfect the way its set anyways.
    the ONLY downfall with them, is they're very specific as to whick shoe you can wear. It has to be a SPD skate style shoe with flat soles. such as sixsixone, 5.10 etc

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Does your 06 model come with or without studs? How well can it stand impacts?

mtbr member
    now that you've refreshed my memory. the 05 models have the pins, the 06 models dont.being that if i use those pedals im clipped in, the lack of pins is not an issue. the platform is plenty big for me and my skate shoes have never slipped on them. as far as durability goes, I ride east coast rock gardens here all the time. slapping pedals off the rocks day in and day out. i have yet to have any issue other than the expected scrapes on the pedals. i have only riden them since the beginning of this season, but am very impressed with them, durability seems top notch..

like i say. the only downside being you hafta have the right shoes, normal spd shoes wont work, they need to be flat soled skate style shoes, with the cutouts for spd clips.

mtbr member
    Hi motherfudpucker,

How's the traction on 06' model if the shoes are not clipped in? Compared with 05's? And where did you get them (the 06's)? The quiksteps don't seem very popular because not many on-line stores carry them.

Thanks a lot!

mtbr member
    hey no prob, um the traction is "ok" when not clipped in. nothing like a good platform with pins, but you sound like your just looking for one "do it all" pedal, something good for clipless or if you feel like just hopping on and riding with out clipping in.

I bought mine from www.speedgoat.com, theyre a large reputable company in PA. Theyre not always the cheapest, but sometimes im more concerned with a company being reputable as ive been burned a few times on ebay... etc.
    If you can find the 05's jump on them,but theyre going to be hard to find. Honestly tho, i think the 06's without pins will suit you fine.
    before I bought mine, ive read nothing but good reviews, and honestly im very pleased with them.. theyre harder to get (most places have never even heard of them around here).

mtbr member
    Actually the atomlab website is offering the old models at a good price. (But is it 05 or even older?)

They do look abuse-resistant, but how's the weight difference between 05 and 06? By direct visual comparison I would assume 06 are lighter. Besides, any improvement done on 06?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    hey, if you can get the old model, go for it. I'm DEFINATELY not a wheight weenie. I pedal around a 38.5 pound bike with a dual crown fork on it. so, weight really doesnt mean much to me... cant help you in that dept.

mtbr member
    You can buy direct from Atomlab. www.atomlab.com

mtbr member
    I went through this before. The 05' and 06' are the same. The updated design is the 07'. You can get the old style for only $75 direct from Atomlab.

The only problem I've had with the pedals is that the clip hangs down pretty low on the bottom of the pedal, and I have banged them on rocks and bent the clips. I did that to mine, and then I ordered some of the $75 ones. Then after a couple of races I'd bent another clip on the new one's. Other than that these are awesome pedals.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys for all the inputs.

So is the 07 model worth the extra $$$ with the updates? They are sold for almost twice the price of 06 in my LBS. They do look pretty though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderbolt413
    Thanks guys for all the inputs.

So is the 07 model worth the extra $$$ with the updates? They are sold for almost twice the price of 06 in my LBS. They do look pretty though.
    I really don't know what's changed. I wouldn't think they are worth double the price. One thing to let me tell you about if you are looking at these pedals, you need shoes with a flat bottom like these:
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Clip+Shoe.aspx

Shimano MP66 shoes work well also.

mtbr member
    Yes I know I need shoes that have flat soles. Thanks a lot for the reminder.
    I think for now I'll just get the old model of quiksteps for a taste and see if atomlab will keep updating them in the future.