Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Atomlab Quickstep pedals

Does anyone have any input on the Atomlab Quickstep pedals? I've heard some general good things about them, but I havn't heard any solid reviews. Also, I havn't heard anything about the clipping ability. I'm specifically wondering if they are easy to clip in/out, do they provide any range of motion, .etc. Can anyone enlighten me and everyone else who is wondering about the Quicksteps?

mtbr member

Great Pedal for DH

I use the Atomlabs on my DH/FR bike. The '06 models of these pedals look awesome from the pictures, but I am using the '05s. These pedals are completely different from any other clipless pedal on the market. It's hard to describe, but basically they ride like platforms until you pull up on the pedal. So they are really easy to get out of. The clips don't really hold onto the cleat until there is upward force. Another great thing about these, is that you can clip in either direction. That is by sliding your foot forward or backward. I have actually found it's a little easier to slide in backward. Another thing is the clips are spring loaded and if you are not cliipped in they will push down and you will still get a good grip on the platform.

These pedals were require that you have flat bottomed clipless shoes. I know 661 makes some, and the Shimano DX downhill shoe is like that too.

I wouldn't trade these pedals for anything for DH/FR. They may be a little too much for XC riding. They may also work for AM if you want the stability of a platform.

mtbr member
    oldschoolbiker would you be able to expand a little, why don’t think they’d be suitable for XC riding?

This is the first decent info I’ve come across on these pedals.
    Last edited by Jamie_MTB; 07-24-2006 at 10:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Well the main concern with using the pedals for XC would probalby be weight. Most XC riders are really concerned with weight. They are probably twice the weight as lightweight XC clipless pedals. And for me it's overkill for XC. I mean for myself, when I'm riding XC my feet basically just stay clipped in the whole time and there isn't much real advantage in having the platform.

Now if you will be riding technical terrain where your foot could pop out (or if you want your foot out) and you want good grip on the pedals when you are not clipped in, then these will work perfectly. Actually a friend of mine rode my bike on a Downhill run and used regular shoes. He said he could feel the clips under his feet but he had no problems with pedal grip.

Another amazing thing about these pedals are their simplicity. It isn't a complicated design at all, but it works great. It's easy to take the entire pedal apart for servicing, and all the platform pins are replaceable.

Also let me repeat this warning, you must have flat bottomed shoes.

Shoes like this WILL NOT work: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...k+Shoe+05.aspx

Something like this MIGHT work:
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...o+Shoe+05.aspx

These definately work, this is what I have:
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Shoes+06.aspx

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info dude.

I'm after pedals which you can ride clipped and unclipped, so when I hit the north shore\technical stuff, I can unclip and not crap my pants about been stuck in the pedal.

I'm using mallets at the moment and I'm not keen on them.

I've got these shoes; so it looks like I'd need to buy a new pair.

http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/ItemMa...=SH-SID-Dragon

mtbr member
    Yeah those shoes won't do it. You'll need some with soles similar to the one's I posted.

The mallets suffer from the same problem almost all the clipless/platform pedals suffer from. When you are uncipped the shoe will not grip the platform because you are sliding around on the clip. Also part of your problem with the mallets are the shoes you are using.

The Atomlab pedals are so easy to unclip when you want, you'll ride the North Shore style stunts clipped in. I do and all my friends think I am nuts, if only they knew my secret.

From what you describe the Atom labs will definately be what you want. My friend said he had no problem sticking to the pedals when he rode with regular shoes, and that was on a Downhill run with 1000ft vertical descent. I think I saw speedgoat had the 2005 models on clearance, but the 2006 models definately look awesome and may be worth the extra $$$.

Here are the links to speedgoat:
    2005 http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=109569
    2006 http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=117385
    Last edited by oldskoolbiker; 07-24-2006 at 08:57 PM.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toons101
    I don't think they will work too well. Out of all the links you send me in e-mail I think only the Shiimano MP66 will work well. These are the shoes I am using, here is the link you sent me:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=7610

Other shoes which will work well will be the:

661 Launch SPD
    661 Dually SPD

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Float and Versatility

macace8 - thanks for the thread, as I'm one of the "everybody else" who wondered about these, and oldskool, thanks for, as macace8 said, some of the only helpful info to be found on these pedals on the web (an email I sent directly to Atomlab about the pedals went unanswered as well).

Oldskool (or others), another poster on another thread said this about the Quicksteps: "From what I've heard, they are as good to ride in regular shoes as they are when you're clipped in. However, beware, that these pedals do not have any float - you clip in and your foot is held from rotating by the pins."

Is that comment about "lack of float" accurate, and does it matter? Should someone like myself with no clipless experience try a pedal with more "float" to begin with? The 2006 version of the pedal is advertised as "Cleat will engage pedal from any direction, 13/17 degree release angles" -- if that has any bearing on the float question.

I bike commute, do technical singletrack, and will be doing some more downhill-type riding later this summer. Seems like a versatile pedal, good with "regular" shoes (like grippy five-ten impacts) or the shoes you suggested oldskool. Was thinking something like Tioga MX Pro platforms with grippy shoes to replace basic cage pedals have now, but this seems like way to try clipless and still have platform fallback with decent pin placement and grip.

Anyway, thanks again!

mtbr member
    genny,

I would say that is an accurate statement about float. These pedals have no concept of float. It's a completely different design and float isn't applicable. It's like asking what kind of float platform pedals have. They have none. These pedals ride like platforms except when you pull up on the pedals your foot don't come off. You have a few degress you can move your feet around, since the release angles are 13/17. But your foot cannot freely move around like normal clipless pedals. Your foot is securely on the platform, and the platform is partially holding your foot on the pedal, especially on your down stroke. These clips grip tighter when there is upward force on the clip.

Another thing, I would say these pedals ride good with regular shoes, but not as good as normal platforms. It does take a certain amout of force to push the clips down out of the way, and you can feel the clips pushing up on the bottom of your feet.

For the purposes you are planning to use the pedals I think they would be a good choice. Only downfall with them is that they are expensive and a little heavy (2006 version is ligher than 2005 though). If you went straight to these and bypassed normal clipless pedals, you will think normal clipless totally suck if you ever try them.

I still use the normal clipless pedals on my XC bike because of weight and the fact I basically never need to unclip while riding. But I absolutely love these pedals on my DH/FR bike.

mtbr member
    BTW I bought the quickstep pedals, shimano MP66 shoes and theyre awesome.

Thanks for your help and advice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I looked at these pedals with interest some time ago.
    As someone who struggles to get out of pedals in emegencies I run flats at the mo when doing a propper MTB ride, but Id rather be clipped in, esspecially now that I ride a road bike too with Crank bros road pedals.
    In years gone by I ran old style clips then Powergrips. If I want to do an MTB ride clipped in, I have Mallets. These are dissapointing in that I still cant get out in bail, and riding these not clipped in is NOT an option what ever anybody else says.

It seems there are 3 types of Quicksteps I could chooses to buy:

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/pr...php?pid=100598

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=11410

Or 2006:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?main=Produc...eferid=Frogoog

I have to say that the older pedals looked like they offered the best grip when not clipped in, but If I was to buy with out being able to test, then Id prob go for 2006 in the hope that Atomblab new waht they were doing and that newer meant improved for some other reason.

One comment worries me though. It has been described as a pedal that holds onto your foot even stronger the more you pull up (this is what I do wrong in a pottential bail and Im not gonna change now). I need to know that these really are the easiest to get out of in an emergency even when youre as useless as me when it comes to clipless, before I buy yet moe pedals.

Ive tried and gone on to sell most clippless on the market over the years, so would like to hear more on peoples experiences using this pedal if there are any thanks.

I Have Gnarly Potential
    Because of the way the clip is made it seems it would not let you out by pulling up even if you did it really hard. but you should never expect a clipless pedal to ever let you out that way, always get use to pulling out the side :/

mtbr member
    Glad you like the pedals!

about unclipping. if you rotate you food it comes out really easy.

mtbr member
    That 2006 pedal doesn't exist! I ordered the 2006 pedal and its exactly like the 2005!

Xr600 youd be better off buying them from the States, I paid less than 50% of the UK price.

The only time my foot came out was pulling up; but I can't be 100% sure I was clipped in, coz Im not used to them yet.

I found unclipping to be the same as shimano and crank brother pedals.

These Pedals are absolute quality, you wont be disappointed.

mtbr member
    I stand corrected; the 2006\2007 quickstep does exist.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I know this is bringing a dead thread back to life. But the 2006/2007 pedals are not available yet. I ordered the 2006 pedals from speedgoat, and I was sent the older style. Before I returned them I e-mailed atomlab to ask them whats the deal. Here is an e-mail from Mike at atomlab. This was sent to me on Nov 2.

--------------------

Delmar,

The new Quiksteps aren't available yet. It will probably be February or so before they are available. I would return the 04/05 ones to Speedgoat.

Best regards,

Mike

mtbr member
    Thanks for the sharing info dude.

Frothing Loony
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbiker
    I don't think they will work too well. Out of all the links you send me in e-mail I think only the Shiimano MP66 will work well. These are the shoes I am using, here is the link you sent me:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=7610

Other shoes which will work well will be the:

661 Launch SPD
    661 Dually SPD
    Sorry to revive a dead thread but there is something I must point out. Oldskoolbiker on the above advice I bought 661 Dually SPD's to go with my new atomlab quicksteps and guess what, they AREN'T compatible!!! That's 60 quid down the toilet based on carelessly given advice, people please please be careful of your facts before posting advice, I've learnt my lesson for now, expensively, but with a little more care this loss could have been avoided.

As far as I can see in order for the shoes to be able to clip in to these pedals they cannot be set in to the sole, they have to be bolted to the bottom of a flat sole which to my mind will make them as clunky as hell when trying to walk on them, honestly I should have stuck to shimano

Phil

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil73805
    Sorry to revive a dead thread but there is something I must point out. Oldskoolbiker on the above advice I bought 661 Dually SPD's to go with my new atomlab quicksteps and guess what, they AREN'T compatible!!! That's 60 quid down the toilet based on carelessly given advice, people please please be careful of your facts before posting advice, I've learnt my lesson for now, expensively, but with a little more care this loss could have been avoided.

As far as I can see in order for the shoes to be able to clip in to these pedals they cannot be set in to the sole, they have to be bolted to the bottom of a flat sole which to my mind will make them as clunky as hell when trying to walk on them, honestly I should have stuck to shimano

Phil
    Phil,

I really don't understand what you are describing. If the cleat is too deep into the shoe it will not be able to clip into the quiksteps. This is why you need the flat bottomed type like 661 makes. The cleat of the quiksteps are pretty big so you might need to trim some of the sole off around the cleat. Why don't you post some pictures? I mean seriously the shoes should work, I mean the example shoe they show in the quikstep owners manual is a 661 shoe.

Frothing Loony
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the response m8 I bought the 2006 661 Dually spd's they are set into the sole of the shoe approximately 1cm, I did cut out the sole in the hope of giving enough space for the cleat to engage but the cleat isn't the problem. The four/five bumps at the leading edge of the pedal are so high that the shoe can't settle enough onto the pedal so that the cleats engage, the cleats are also inset too deep. Unless I gouge out most of the front of the sole it isn't going to fit! I even tried to put 'washers' under the screws to raise the cleats and they still wouldn't engage. They are not compatible, fact.

I'm going to try and sell them while making clear that I have cut away some of the sole on one shoe and see if I can make any of my money back. This really sucks these pedals may be good in theory but buying shoes for them is a waking nightmare, they seem to be compatible with only one type of shoe, Shimano MP66's.

Anyone else considering these pedals, be warned.

Phil

mtbr member
    I use shimano MP66 and they work a treat?
    Toons

mtbr member
    Phil,

I'm still surprised that they don't work. It is true that the MP66 shoes work great with little cutting. I've attached the Quikstep manual I received which as you can see uses the 661 as the sample shoe. Also that piece you are talking about with the "bumps" can be removed. Try taking that piece off.

Frothing Loony
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbiker
    Also that piece you are talking about with the "bumps" can be removed. Try taking that piece off.
    Praise the Lord and pass the.....allen keys? (hexagonal key) Result! After removing the lumpy bits and some judicious slicing and dicing they clip in....just. I would still recommend the MP66's over the 661Dually's as it will involve a lot less hassle and probably a better & more positive attachment. They are quite fiddly to clip into but I reckon that I'll get used to that with time. Thanks for the assistance.

Phil

p.s. I have indigestion from all that humble pie...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

AtomLab QuickStep pedals '06

First of all thanks for all the great info on these pedals.

just to let you know the "ADIDAS ADISTAR XC " mtb shoes work with this pedal just fine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast