mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Anyone w/ ProfileRacing Cranks...have a couple questions

Hi there,

I picked up a set of Profiles used (this is my first set of these). Not sure if I have all the hardware.

As pictured here:

There is a spacer between the bearing cups. My crankset did not come w/ the spacer. Is it necessary?

Also, there is a small type of washer (not the spacers) that fits in the spider, but I'm not sure if this is supposed to go on the outside or inside of the spider. Any input?

Finally, are there certain parts of the crank where locktite or anti-seize should be used? If so, where?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thx,

Mark

All 26.5" all the time!
    The spacer is the keystone of the entire system. The bearings will bind and quickly self-destruct without it. Make sure you get the correct length. If the cranks feel resistant to spin when the crank bolts are tight, the spacer is too short.

The larger end of the stepped adapter for the spider should sit on the inside.

Use anti-sieze on the spindle if it's Ti, otherwise use plenty of good quality bearing grease. Slather it everywhere and wipe off any excess. You can't use too much. Locktite isn't needed, the close tolerance fit between the crank arms and spindle almost makes the crank bolts unneeded.
    Last edited by Zanetti; 02-08-2006 at 08:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanetti
    The spacer is the keystone of the entire system. The bearings will bind and quickly self-destruct without it. Make sure you get the correct length. If the cranks feel resistant to spin when the crank bolts are tight, the spacer is too short.

The larger end of the stepped adapter for the spider should sit on the inside.

Use anti-sieze on the spindle if it's Ti, otherwise use plenty of good quality bearing grease. Slather it everywhere and wipe off any excess. You can't use too much. Locktite isn't needed, the close tolerance fit between the crank arms and spindle almost makes the crank bolts unneeded.
    Great info! Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004