mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Anyone using X9 cranks?

Im looking to replace the FSA Comet on my Salsa El Mariachi, Im looking for a 2x10 crank with 28-42 chainrings for under $300 preferably closer to 250. I was wondering if anyone has tried the X9 crankset or if anyone has suggestions for similar products.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've got X9 cranks on a 1x10 with a chain guide. Very nice balance of weight and durability. Other than that, I don't really think about them... which is good.

^ That's what I do
    I just installed the X9 cranks the other day. I haven't been able to go riding yet because one of my brakes was defective and I have to return it. The cranks seem very durable and well built. The look pretty good too (I bought the gray ones, wanted the red ones but JensonUSA was out of them).
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper 29er (modified)

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm using the SRAM S1400 (X7 group) 2x10 cranks, and they have been working great. If you compare the X7 and the X9 cranks they look very similar. The X9 is a mere 9 grams lighter, but it does have a nicer finish/appearance. My X7 cranks have steel chainring bolts, perhaps X9 has alloy bolts?

I got the X7 crank for just under $150 online over the winter. If you are looking for value, I would recommend X7. I've put about 3 months of training and 2 races on them with no issues.

Never trust a fart
    Look at the Sram Non-series cranks. Good prices, don't have all the bells/whistles of the branded (X7,X9,X0) cranks, but are a good value.

You can pick up the S1400 for around $160.00.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Austin-I just made the same swap-the fsa comet compact for the x9 cranks on my new el mariachi. I am curious why you want to make the change? i was having a very specific issue and don't want to lead you but curious if you were having the same. the new crankset has been awesome and fixed my problem.

tg

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Only thing Ive had go wrong with the comet so far was one chainsuck on a downshift. I just got the bike last week and have only put on about 30 miles, about 10 of them on the trail. I found that the 27 tooth chainring was about all I used on the trail, I just leave it there and treat it like a 1x10.

The main reason looking to upgrade is because Im wanting a few more teeth on the outer ring to get me to the trail and back. Ideally Id like a 44 tooth outer ring but I really only see those on 3 ring cranks and Id rather not have to get a new front derailuer and shifter yet. And going to a 3 ring would just make me do extra shifting on the trail.

Really the only reason I was thinking X9 is because I think I want a 42-28 and the red one would look great with my red rear deraileur, wheels, headset, seatclamp, and pedals.

Anyone know if I could replace the outer ring on a 2x10 crankset with a 44, or would that be getting into too large a gap between gears or even worth the trouble? I havent looked too hard but it looks like its only the really high end stuff that has a large variety of ratios.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Hey Austin-
    I had MAJOR issues with chainsuck with my comet crankset. Broke the front derailer off. My LBS was awesome to deal with and went to bat for me. Replaced the derailer and I paid the difference to upgrade to the X9 cranks. Issue resolved.

I got the 39/26 tooth configuration not the 42/28. I liked the idea of a 4 bolt configuation versus the 3 bolt design of the comet. But I haven't really looked into changing the chainrings.

We must ride very differently, surely different terrain. I rarely use the granny gear. I really use 5 or 6 gears a lot and can't say I've ever really spin out on the flats even with the 39 tooth big ring. I could probably get by 1x10.

I think Salsa would be interested to hear that you had chainsuck issues with that crankset.

tg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Interesting, I've had my El Mar for a week (done about 4 light rides) and had 3 chainsuck events. I think I was going from big to small ring under load each time. Conditions were always relatively dry (a little mud here and there but not a slop-fest).

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    sorry to hear than ohoen-you might check in with the salsa guys-i know my lbs spoke with them about the chainsuck issue on my bike. and in about 75 miles of riding since the change to the x9 no issues (disclaimer-i generally use only the big ring and work the rear gears especially with the fear of chainsuck still there). that being said there are other causes of chain suck-ie poor chain lube, mud buildup, chain tension-related to rear derailer to rule out.

tg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yeah, thanks Twins, with the bike being this new I'm just planning on riding and seeing how it goes. No issues on my ride yesterday. I spent a little time last night getting the limits and tension on the FD just right (it was a little off, not too bad).

Seems like the cranks and hubs are definitely the weak points on the complete. Maybe I shouldn't malign the hubs just yet. There's a lot of cassette wobble on mine but so far they work!

Anyway, I haven't done any riding in the past five years or so. So take everything I say with that in mind (my shifting technique/tech knowledge is almost certainly lacking).

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    got a little cassette wobble on mine too

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I bent the big chainring on my el mar's comet crankset. I was going to replace it, but I've bent it back and I've been ride on it for about a month or more now. I too was thinking that instead I might use this as an excuse to upgrade my cranks to the X9 ones.

My decision to move to the X9 cranks is mostly based on the fact that 3 bolt bashguards don't yet exist as well FSA didn't stock up on 3 bolt chainrings and so it's been impossible to even get a replacement.

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by sbchisholm View Post
    based on the fact that 3 bolt bashguards don't yet exist as well FSA didn't stock up on 3 bolt chainrings and so it's been impossible to even get a replacement.
    Well that answers that question!
    I have been looking online for a bashguard and finding nothing for my Mariachi that is on order, that sucks I ride a lot of rock and tree overs.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    I've been running the X9 crank with 26/39 chain rings, a SRAM PC-1091 chain and a X9 front derailleur for a little over a year now and the front shifting is excellent. I can flawlessly downshift under load and it barely makes a noise. Hopefully this helps.
    Experienced Crasher

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've been using a bottom bracket mount MRP XCG. It works quite well, you just need to make sure to really tighten the BB cup or else the guard can spin back towards the chain-stay and you'll end up having to finish your ride on the big ring.

As an update to the question "Anyone using X9 cranks?" I've ordered the X7 (S1400) cranks for my El Mariachi. I didn't see any real advantage of getting the X9 cranks over these and the price was really great ($150).

Never Forget 9-11
    X9 2x10 with 24/38. Shifting is great and smooth turning. Price Point has them listed with the BB for $199.
    It's such a fine line between idiocy and genius.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Have an x9 2x10 with x9 shifters F and Rd. Paid like $180 for the crankset with BB. BC Multisport has them on sale every once in a while. Good running group.You wont be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    SRAM cranks shift well. Have them on a 2011 GF xcal. 22/33/44. Durable 1200+ miles and the middle and bid ring are done. Looked at replacing the rings only and it would have cost me 120~180 for all 3. Them middle one alone was $60. SRAM BB are not at all durable. Only get about 600 miles on them.