Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

anyone used Pauls thumbshifters??

1K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Slow Eddie 
#1 ·
Curious if anyone has ever used em or something like it.

I am thinkning of doing a 2x10 set up with those or SRAM dbl tap flat shifters with a Rival RD and a 11-28 cassette and 34x22 rings. just wondering if anybody has used those shifters.

#10 ·
Monte said:
Shimano is 2:1, SRAM 1:1. Would the Shimano have enough total cable pull?

Or maybe it would, but the shifter would only go 1/2 turn?

I dunno.
I think the actual ratios aren't so wide apart as 2:1 and 1:1, believe it's more like 1.7 for shimano and 1.2 for SRAM or something like that, but could be enough to not work properly. The SRAM shifter pulls more cable I think I've read...not sure about that.

#12 ·
chwesley said:
Curious if anyone has ever used em or something like it.

I am thinkning of doing a 2x10 set up with those or SRAM dbl tap flat shifters with a Rival RD and a 11-28 cassette and 34x22 rings. just wondering if anybody has used those shifters.
If you are using the Doubletap flat bar shifters there is no reason or need to use the Paul Thumbies mounts at all. They are good-to-go as is.

#13 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
I think the actual ratios aren't so wide apart as 2:1 and 1:1, believe it's more like 1.7 for shimano and 1.2 for SRAM or something like that, but could be enough to not work properly. The SRAM shifter pulls more cable I think I've read...not sure about that.
With the SRAM 10-speed drive train 1 click moves 3mm of cable and the RD moves 3mm laterally (at least according to the company literature).

#14 ·
I have the Thumbies with the SRAM TT levers and a Rival RD- I also have Thumbies with Shimano 9 speed levers hooked up to either XT or Ultegra RD depending on the cog size. Without question, the SRAM set-up is the best- the indexing is spot on, and far less vague than the Shimano levers. Plus, the Red caps on the TT's combined with the black levers and Thumbies look really cool.

#16 ·
Thumbies with SRAM X.0 Rear

I have a SRAM X.0 Rear derailleur that I'm looking to reduce from 9 to 8 speed due to some thicker Ti cogs that cause chain rub.

There aren't many good 8 speed shifters and I'm not interested in twist shift.

Can I use the Shimano Ultegra Bar-end 8 speed shifter with Paul Thumbie with this X.0 derailleur? Is the indexing different? Maybe in friction mode?

I've I need to change the RD I'll do that. Will the XTR work with the Shimano Ultegra Bar-end

Thanks,Howard

#18 ·
deuxdiesel said:
I have the Thumbies with the SRAM TT levers and a Rival RD- I also have Thumbies with Shimano 9 speed levers hooked up to either XT or Ultegra RD depending on the cog size. Without question, the SRAM set-up is the best- the indexing is spot on, and far less vague than the Shimano levers. Plus, the Red caps on the TT's combined with the black levers and Thumbies look really cool.
Do you have any pictures?

#19 ·
Friction Mode or different RD.

hxmiller said:
I have a SRAM X.0 Rear derailleur that I'm looking to reduce from 9 to 8 speed due to some thicker Ti cogs that cause chain rub.

There aren't many good 8 speed shifters and I'm not interested in twist shift.

Can I use the Shimano Ultegra Bar-end 8 speed shifter with Paul Thumbie with this X.0 derailleur? Is the indexing different? Maybe in friction mode?

I've I need to change the RD I'll do that. Will the XTR work with the Shimano Ultegra Bar-end

Thanks,Howard
Can't use Shimano thumbshifters with the X.0; cable pull ratio is different.

Can't use SRAM thumbshifters with the X.0: 1:1 ratio, but the amount of cable pull per click is different.

XTR/Ultegra bar-con? Good to go :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.