mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Anyone Try the XTR M985 Shimano Pedals?

The "Trail" pedals that is, not the XC pedals. These look just like the M985 but with a cage around the main body. They look like they'd be great for AM riding. Only thing I want to know is what that cage is made of. If it's resin, forget it, it'll snap on the first rock strike. Plus this pedal aint cheap at $150-$250.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...pedal-ec023838

Anyone have experiences to share about these?
    We Ride In God's Country!

Rub it............
    I've been eyeballing these as well. The only downside is that most places don't have them yet and those that do, started getting them in at the beginning of this month. So I'd have to say that with the prices these things are, not too many have been purchased yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, they're not out yet hence the range in pricing. Most of the online UK stores are cheaper even with shipping.

They're not even on Shimano's main website, only saw a PDF of the instruction sheet. Any idea what that cage is made of? No way i'm buying it if it's resin/plastic!

Rub it............
    The cage is metal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've done a couple of rides on mine. They do give a little more solid platform feel. Compared to the regular XT or XTR pedals, they are sometimes a little trickier to clip into. Instead of just stabbing the pedal I sometimes have to wiggle my foot a bit to get it to clip in. For getting started on tricky terrain, the extra cage area does help you pedal without your foot slipping off before you get clipped in.

I hit a small stump hidden under leaves at high speed with my left pedal, which caused me to slam the ground hard. The pedal held up fine to the hard hit.

Overall I like them a little better than the standard XT/XTR pedal. I wouldn't spend the money to upgrade, though, unless you need new pedals anyway. I got a new bike that needed pedals, and my brother owns a bike shop, so I got a good deal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone Try the XTR M985 Shimano Pedals?-xtr-trail-pedals.jpg  

Anyone Try the XTR M985 Shimano Pedals?-xtr-trail-pedals2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have been using them for a few rides. The pedals really are slim and smaller than they look in pics. The extra cage is nice , which offer more than the regular XT/XTR . But they do not take the place of the 647 DX. These new XTR are much more compact so you need to be more accurate than the DX model. These can be slippery if you don't engage on the first try, like the XT and XTR. There are some sharp edges on the body that would do # on your knee. They do work really well and are lighter than the DX. I'm still getting used to the different platform. I use the XT and DX models.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for sharing those experiences. I think these fit what I'm after - an XC pedal with more platform. I have the larger DH-type pedals on my AM rig. These will go on my XC rig. I really wanted to know how they hold up to abuse and rock strikes since they'll be getting hit hard sometimes.

I've had two resin cage Shimano's, just didn't hold up. I think I'll need to get a set, but wow, the local prices. Best I've seen is Chainreaction at $114, but not in stock yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I know you asked about the 'Trail' version, but I just wanted to put a little input about the 'Race' pedals.

The 'race' pedals, to me, had noticeably more platform(not sure if that's the right word), I really do feel like I'm riding a BMX pedal. Very stable!

So I'd imagine the 'trail' one's should be even more stable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The more I use them the more comfortable they are. They definitely feel more stable than the old XT, but not quite as stable as the DX. Really smooth with a bit less float than the XT.
    The Race model looks nice too.
    Cannot comment on durability yet.
    I purchased them at Outfitters for 163.00 shipped. Best price I have found.