mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Anyone take the plunge on these "forged" carbon cranks from carbon.bike?

I know its not forging, but I was at least intrigued by these:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/f...et-and-stems#/

For me I'm put off by the lack of proof that they're strong/safe/reliable.
    I'm amazed that the manufacturer doesn't post a single test video, strength test etc. That said I'm intrigued by the potential of this material in the application. Have to wonder about the lack of metal inserts though....for both the Axle/crank interface and for the chainring interface (the 3-metal bolts supposedly do most of the work....but still... won't the carbon spline wear out over time and cause failure?

I'd be willing to try them out for $100, but by the time I get a chainring, compatible BB for my bike, etc I'm in for over $217....for which price I'd buy a used Sram carbon crank if I wanted to save weight and not worry about impaling myself on a broken crank.

That said... I'm still struggling *not* to try to buy as the campaign comes to a close....

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    No thank you. I like my testicles functional.

If they provided some test data I might take a closer look, but renderings don't get it done for such a crucial part.

Land of the 230+
    ::OUCH:: Thats a painful thought. But curious none the less. Hopefully someone takes the plunge, maybe theyre on to something.

mtbr member
    I'll pass for now. The stem looks like an ENVE and the crank arms are like SRAM. The chainring is a SRAM Red with the "logos Photoshop'd out".

Looks like the backers will lose out on their money. Since they only raised 3500 out of the 39k needed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The chainring you're referring to is actually a Praxis chainring, but thats just on there for the photos it says.

According to the manufacturer, they already have the materials needed and they'll be making cranks for backers regardless of whether they meet their goals.

mtbr member
    Pretty sure it's a SRAM. Far as I know...the design of that ring came on the original SRAM Red cranks back in ~2008.

Anyone take the plunge on these "forged" carbon cranks from carbon.bike?-31727_00_d.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Pretty sure it's a SRAM. Far as I know...the design of that ring came on the original SRAM Red cranks back in ~2008.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31727_00_d.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	1069891
    You may be right -either way; not sure why it matters as the crank manufacturer isn't selling the road chainrings anyways.

mtbr member
    No not really. Just skeptical as they are basically copying SRAM's design. The way the spider mounts is how SRAM does it. Same with the shape of the crank arms.

If they have the funds to move forward into production...why the crowd funding? To recoup their costs? Cranks are one of those parts where if you have a catastrophic failure can land you in a world of hurt. What have these guys done to make sure that the crank will stand up to abuse and real world riding? That's stuff I want to know about.

Here's their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/usa.carbon