mtbr member
    Dec 2008

anyone running shimano 10-speed mtb? ultegra flatbar shifters?

toying with the idea...

anyone used the ultegra 10 speed flatbar shifters? I'm assuming they are similar in function to my XTs... I would run an 11/28 dura-ace cassette as well.

thoughts?

I realize it wouldn't result in any huge gains, but am considering running the same wheelset on a 10 speed cx bike as well and it would simplify things/not add a lot of extra cost. It might be nice to have a few extra options too.

I am unlikely to actually do this btw- but curious if anyone has tried it or have input.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    it would work, the only thing you gain really is tighter cassette ratios. depends on what you want

Former Bike Wrench
    You'll want to use a road front derailleur as they have a slightly different pull ratio as the MTB derailleur. The rear derailleur can be Road or MTB. Also, IRD makes up to 11-34 10 speed cassettes if you want lower gears.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I do run doubles on all my bikes anyways up front...

what kind of $$$/quality/weight are we getting into with that IRD cassette? keeping the lower gears but adding more might be worthwhile (if not big weight penalty).

what about the feel/quality of those shifters? XT?

Former Bike Wrench
    The IRD Elite 11-34 ten speed cassettes come in XT level quality (alloy spider on the top 4 gears, weight is 363 grams). They're not cheap, usually about $140 but solid. They come in 11-30, 12-30, 11-32, 12-32, and 11-34.

The R770 Flat Bar road shifters are XT level...though they do not have the double tap or the instant release of the new XT's