Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Anyone retrofit a down pull front der on a top pull frame?

841 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  G-Live 
#1 ·
I am thinking about using full housing, a couple of stick on guides and adding a plastic bottom bracket guide for a down pull front der on my GF XCal 29er. My only question is the stop for the housing.

I have bottle cage bolts on the bottom side that I could use as a mount for the stop or to use some plastic guides there.

If you have done such a conversion, what did you use for the housing stop? I don't think a downtube clamp on is going to work because of the size of the downtube.

Thanks
G:???:

#2 ·
That's certainly the reason that most down pull derailleurs use exposed inner cable from the first stop at the headtube all the way down the downtube and through the BB plastic guide and up to the derailleur.

You might be able to drill and tap the BB shell and modify a rivet on cable stop to stop the cable housing at the BB shell, but you'd still have to run a plastic BB shell guide to get it to wrap around the shell. That's a pretty tight turn around the BB shell for cable casing.

#3 ·
Rocky,

That is PERFECT. I could make a small alum trianle mount that I could bolt on to the underside cage bolt and add the plastic guide and would work golden.

How about tapping this into the headtube? Too difficult / dang ga rooos.

G

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.