Kill that $hit!

New question here. Anyone know if this will work?

Right now I have an XT drivetrain (9 sp in the rear), but I'm thinking about using an Ultegra shortcage (9 sp) in the rear instead for more rock clearance. Does anyone know if this will be compatable w/ my current setup? I.e. would I need different shifers or cassette? Thanks.

EDIT: Okay, I saw another post on this and I realized I had left out some importaint info. I'm only running one chainring up front. (38) w/ an MRP chainguide system. Maybe that's relavant info, maybe it's not, but I figured I'd add that. I'm still curious about the actual shifters working with that deralleur though. Thanks again......
    Last edited by MorphineAddict; 05-16-2005 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Adding more specs and info...

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Yes and Maybe

The derailleur will work fine with any Shimano shifters. Depending on what range cassette you are running you may have some capasity issues.

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by MorphineAddict
    Right now I have an XT drivetrain (9 sp in the rear), but I'm thinking about using an Ultegra shortcage (9 sp) in the rear instead for more rock clearance. Does anyone know if this will be compatable w/ my current setup? I.e. would I need different shifers or cassette? Thanks.

EDIT: Okay, I saw another post on this and I realized I had left out some importaint info. I'm only running one chainring up front. (38) w/ an MRP chainguide system. Maybe that's relavant info, maybe it's not, but I figured I'd add that. I'm still curious about the actual shifters working with that deralleur though. Thanks again......
    What cassett are you using, 11-34, 11-32, smaller? The real determining factor is how big the biggest gear is 34 or 32 or smaller. Short cage derailers are generally meant for under 32T cassetts. Why not get an XT short cage instead of the road specific design, the XT's are designed for more abuse - as in XC riding - when compared to the Ultegra road derailer and should work and last better for off-road riding.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Actually there is no difference in design/construction

between road and mtb derailleurs. They are both the same durability wise.
    Also Shimano currently has no SS (short cage) r deraileurs in their MTB lineups. If you want a short cage, a road derailleur is your only option.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    between road and mtb derailleurs. They are both the same durability wise.
    Also Shimano currently has no SS (short cage) r deraileurs in their MTB lineups. If you want a short cage, a road derailleur is your only option.
    That and none of the road derailleurs are spec'd to handle a cassette with a big gear over 27t. I know it's somewhat conservative and they'll usually handle a 30 sometime 32 (I think a longer B-screw would help), I've got a 28 rear on my long cage 105 w/o problems.

Kill that $hit!
    Quote Originally Posted by spinjocky
    That and none of the road derailleurs are spec'd to handle a cassette with a big gear over 27t. I know it's somewhat conservative and they'll usually handle a 30 sometime 32 (I think a longer B-screw would help), I've got a 28 rear on my long cage 105 w/o problems.
    A longer B screw?