mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Anyone hoarding Shimano 8 speed cassettes?

Are the higher end models being discountinued?

I've been checking the price of the Shimano XT 8 speed cassette. The're at $60. I remember buying it for about half price a couple years ago.

Are the Sram compatible cassettes any good in terms of longevity?

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    Heck, my hardtail has an XTR M900 cassette on it, I picked it up several years ago for $50!

There's still a few XTR 8-speed cassettes out there but as you say, they're not cheap any more. I have no experience with the SRAM cassettes, but I like their 8-speed chains.

SCC
    SCC
    Jan 2007
    I found an XT 8 speed for 29 bucks last summer from my LBS, thats 29 bucks canuck. Good deal yes. He was surprised he still had one kicking around in a drawer.

Do It Yourself
    The higher end 8 speed Shimano stuff has been out of production for quite some time. Your best bet for NOS is eBay. The SRAMs are fine in terms of longevity but do weigh a lot more than the M950 XTR 12-32 cassettes I'm using.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I use the SRAM 8 speed chain and casette. No problems, easy to find and come with the right tooth humbers for me. I have seen good deals on the Sram trigger shifters that are brand new and 8 speed that I am going to jump on soon. I have found no reason to go 9 speed and the cassettes are lighter

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by rallyraid
    Are the higher end models being discountinued?

I've been checking the price of the Shimano XT 8 speed cassette. The're at $60. I remember buying it for about half price a couple years ago.

Are the Sram compatible cassettes any good in terms of longevity?

Hoarding - Yes.

Slowly, but yes.

Yes! Yes! Yes!

SRAM cassettes are ok, as long as you have a steel freehub body. Tend to gouge Alum freehub bodies otherwise.

And keep searching, there are XT's out there and with coupons at Nashbar and Performance can bring down the price a bit.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

I Love my Rize

This is the setup

These run flawless for me for over 2000 miles with reasonable mud riding using ProLink chainlube. They are cheap as hell and not too bad on the weight dept. Matter of fact my set up has about 2000 miles on it right now and still feels and performs great. Tough as nails. I would loctite the set screw that holds the cassette together and tighten it good before you install. Stats for the cassette and a link to the combo deal. This deal is so cheap I don't worry about changing chains, I just run it to death and change everything at once. Since I use Deore m510 steel chainrings for the granny and middle rings also I don't worry about ruining them because they are dirt cheap also and perform flawlessly. The shifting on the rear is better than ANY Shimano system I have ever had.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...TOKEN=29143056

PG-850
    Shimano compatible
    Item Specifications
    Color Chrome
    Cassette Cogs 11,12,14,16,18,21,26,32
    Speeds 8
    Chain Compatibility 6, 7, 8
    Weight 275 g
    Intended Use Mountain
    Drivetrain Spacing Shimano/SRAM 8
    Cassette Body Type Shimano 8
    Last edited by danoalb; 06-19-2007 at 08:57 PM.
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the link danoalb, sounds like a good deal No way I'm going 9 speed, that's for road bikes

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by rallyraid
    Thanks for the link danoalb, sounds like a good deal No way I'm going 9 speed, that's for road bikes

Road bikes now have 10 speed so 9 speed is for losers.

The only trouble with that SRAM cassette is the gear range. On the high end, it's only a 1T difference in the last two cogs and on the low end, it's a huge 6T gap between to the big cogs.
    Long Live Long Rides

I Love my Rize

Not a factor

I love my ratio, I have no complaints about the bigger jump in the lower gears. You need your close ratio for your faster speed gears. I RARELY use my 32 tooth cog as the lowest I go is usually 26 but at that speed I can't even feel the shift from 26 to 32 especially with the X9 derailleur and X9 8 speed gripshifts. I will take that over the closer spaced Shimano cogs anyday. The 26 is PERFECT for your heavy duty workhorse cog when in your front granny.
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

mtbr "member"

have been since they predicted 8 speeds death

Back when 9's came out ALL XTR 8 speed stuff was on fire sale. So after one year of trying a 9 speed and loathing it, I bought a rediculous amount of XTR 12-32 cassettes and several 8 speed shifters. The rest, you can use 9 speed stuff.

Still have about 6 XTR cassettes left. Of course I know 9's have gotten better but in the mud, 8 still works better.

Part of me says, get over it, stop being a needless "retro" hold out and get on with my life but I just can't seem to give up the low upkeep and flawless shifting in the muck.

Performance does sell a house brand 12-32 8 speed cassette with the same exact gearing as the old XTR. But the shifting is a bit less refined. So I use them on my "beater" bikes and a few "lower end" builds. But still, works pretty well and not bad durability.

Someday, maybe I'll move on (when my XTR's run out) to 10 or 11 speeds but for now...

REEK

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Actually, I believe that Shimano resumed production of the steel version of the venerable 8-speed xtr, in 12-32 configuration.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Like the danoalb said i've tried both the old XTR 12-32 and the SRAM 11-32 with the bigger tooth jump to the biggest cog. In practice I really don't notice an adverse difference and the SRAM cassette is readily available.

Still keeping 9 speed max on my tri bike, will never do 10 speed. Still have 7 speed on my road bike!

willtsmith_nwi
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    Road bikes now have 10 speed so 9 speed is for losers.
    Spinal Tap brand shifters go to 11. You should consider switching ;-)

"El Whatever"
    I have used this one....

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/....cfm?SKU=11470

* Compatible with Shimano and SRAM Grip Shift
    * Patented tooth design promotes smooth, positive shifting
    * Durable, steel construction
    Size 2: 11-28:11,12,14,16,18,21,24,28
    Size 1: 12-32: 12,14,16,18,21,24,28,32
    Weight: 306g
    Compatibility: Any 8-speed system
    Size 3: NA
    Material: Nickel-plated steel

And with good results... The thing just works, but yeah, it's heavy.

I finally surrendered and went 9sp... but luckily, my SRAM X.7's haven't made me miss Shimano drivetrains being them 7, 8 or 9 sp. Effin' SRAM stuff just works much better under the crappy conditions than Shimano. YMMV, but so far after ages of being on Shimano, I'm positively impressed with SRAM stuff.

Even then, sometimes I miss 8sp. It's maybe the best drivetrain set-up.
    Check my Site

mtbr "member"

last time i checked

nashbar has their version of the Performance cassettes on sale for $10. (same parent company so I assume they are identical)

REEK

willtsmith_nwi
    Quote Originally Posted by Reek
    nashbar has their version of the Performance cassettes on sale for $10. (same parent company so I assume they are identical)

REEK
    I tried one of those. It weighed the same as the SRAM cheapie so I was happy. It performed just fine until I was finishing a ride up at Fort Custer and I started hearing a crunching noise out back.

When I stopped and looked closer, the smaller cog had split in two. When I tried to "supplement" the missing cog with those from old cassettes I found that spacing wasn't quite right and adding a SRAM 11t to the Forte Cassette did not add up to a freehub body. PLUS the screws holding the cassette together came loose.

I don't think I'll be buying any more of those Forte cassettes.

mtbr "member"

Never had that happen to me but

I don't really use them on my main rides. Still use XTR 8s on my "good" wheels. I use the Performance cassettes on my winter bike/wheelsets and my beaters. either way, hope I never have the broken cog thing happen to me during a ride.

Although, i have removed the little screws that hold the cassettes together and used each cog separately to make my own ratios using various other cassettes. You can buy 8 and 9 speed aluminum cassette spacers on AEBike.com. and the new "cassettes" that I create, I use without re-inserting the metal screws. I noticed the SRAM cheapo cassettes, Performance brand, sunrace and even a few of the Shimano "mega" range cheapo cassettes are strangely very similar in cog design....

anyway, I mix and match cogs to get the ratios I need on my DH frame/ski slope bike.

REEK

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reek
    I don't really use them on my main rides. Still use XTR 8s on my "good" wheels. I use the Performance cassettes on my winter bike/wheelsets and my beaters. either way, hope I never have the broken cog thing happen to me during a ride.

Although, i have removed the little screws that hold the cassettes together and used each cog separately to make my own ratios using various other cassettes. You can buy 8 and 9 speed aluminum cassette spacers on AEBike.com. and the new "cassettes" that I create, I use without re-inserting the metal screws. I noticed the SRAM cheapo cassettes, Performance brand, sunrace and even a few of the Shimano "mega" range cheapo cassettes are strangely very similar in cog design....

anyway, I mix and match cogs to get the ratios I need on my DH frame/ski slope bike.

REEK
    Same here... but I used it on my main ride for quite some time... those wheels were on two frames. But then, I'm only 140 pounds and I'm a spinner rather than a masher.

As for the screws holding the cassette together... well, if the cassette is properly tight on the freewheel, it should not move at all. Especially on a steel freewheel. Maybe on an aluminum one, they would gouge the freewheel and eventually move around messing with the shifting.
    Check my Site