TRANCER

Anyone here use an MRP 1.X Chain Guide, BB Mount??

I am building a bike with a 1 x 8 drive train and was wondering if anyone has used this with good results? Bike will not be ridden too aggressively. Thanks in advance
    Ride

Weekend Warrior UK
    Sep 2006
    If you like the looks, I dont think you can go too far wrong with those. There're many alternatives though (cheaper/sturdier/lighter etc...). Read some of the threads on here (search under 'chainguide') to get a good cross section.
    To plug my own gear, take a look at www.raidiumchainguide.co.uk.

mtbr member
    I replaced Paul chainkeeper with MRP 1.X. It works flawlessly comparing with the previous one.

ups and downs
    For 1x8 you may need to relieve the back edges a bit for chain clearance. With a 1x9 setup I found that the large cassette cog would cause some chain rub under torque. It wasn't all that noticeable on the stand. They are sized for narrower 9 speed chains, it won't take much effort to file or Dremel the back edge of the MRP cage to make the opening a bit wider
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

TRANCER
    Thanks for the info everyone. Tetra I really like your guide. I'm going to give it some more thought and let you guys know which way I decide to go. I'm not too interested in looks as much as I am performance and durability. Durability since this will mainly be a extra loaner bike.
    Ride

wheelie king
    I've been running a 1.X for a few rides now. I'm surprised at well it works. The chain does seem to rub some on the guide, but not really an issue when riding. It keeps the chain on and is very quiet as far as noise from the chain bouncing around is concerned. I picked up a used one and saved $20. I don't know how well it will work with 8 speed. Email MRP and ask them. They have always responded quickly to my questions.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    1x10, 1x9, 1x8, or 1xwhatever - the 1X works the same. What kinda bike are you building? Cheers
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado
    1x10, 1x9, 1x8, or 1xwhatever - the 1X works the same. What kinda bike are you building? Cheers
    I am building a 1994 Marin Zig Zag Trail. From what i heard its a rare bike. I got the original stickers and everything. My own paint job though. I did not like the original color. And thought it'd be sweet to mix some original with some modern looks with it. The Cranks are original Shimano LX 3 speed for example but i am making it a single with just the middle ring. And the original 8 speed in the back.
    Ride

wheelie king
    How's that for a quick response? Thanks, Noah.

TRANCER
    Here is a before picture

Ride

TRANCER
    And here is how its coming along
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone here use an MRP 1.X Chain Guide, BB Mount??-2010-11-29-20.31.27.jpg  

Anyone here use an MRP 1.X Chain Guide, BB Mount??-2010-11-30-10.56.29.jpg  

Ride

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard74
    I am building a 1994 Marin Zig Zag Trail. From what i heard its a rare bike. I got the original stickers and everything. My own paint job though. I did not like the original color. And thought it'd be sweet to mix some original with some modern looks with it. The Cranks are original Shimano LX 3 speed for example but i am making it a single with just the middle ring. And the original 8 speed in the back.
    Make sure that your BB cup has a lip on driveside if you're gonna use the BB mounted version. Something along these lines:

If so, it should work fine. Have fun with your project!
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

TRANCER
    Noah Thanks for the info. Yes i just looked and yes it does have a lip. I think i am going to order it today ! Thanks for the help once again
    Ride

mtbr member
    What's the chainline on those cranks? Would be worth double-checking that it is within the range of the 1.X's spacer adjustment since older cranks had a narrower chainline than is common today

TRANCER
    Boomn. They are 1994 era Shimano LX cranks. How would I go about finding that info out?
    Ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard74
    Boomn. They are 1994 era Shimano LX cranks. How would I go about finding that info out?
    Simple actually. You can measure it with a ruler, preferably a square ruler to help line up to the center of seat tube. Measure from there horizontally to the center of your middle ring

TRANCER
    Thanks again man.
    Ride