mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Anyone here rebuilt a sram x9 derailleur?? Should I??

i've had my 2008 sram x9 dearilleur for a while and i've ridden quite a few miles on the mtn bike. Has anyone ever done a rebuild on one? What all did you replace(everything is fine and not bent, no cracks).

i'm only thinking looking at rebuilding it because it has had lots of miles and mud and water thrown at it.

all help is welcome and please point me to posts that cover this already if they exist. i searched for some but didn't find anything addresssing my question.

E

Chamois Dropper
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is much you can do. If the deraillier is not bent, I would say clean it, hit all the pivot spots with progold or T9. Check the bearings in the jockey wheels and replace wheels if necessary, but at $25 bucks or so for the wheels, I would just replace the deraillier if its getting tired.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    There are only a few replaceable [wear] parts, depending on how you look at it.

The knuckle spring, the two derailleur pulleys, and maybe the cage.

Servicing the spring is easy enough, you just need to open up the knuckle (you need to remove a c-clip or bolt). There are two holes inside the knuckle, and you may be able to resolve weak spring by changing the hole it is in. If tension is okay, there is no reason to open it up.

As far as the pulleys, you can only replace them. They are not expensive, and should be replaced if they are obviously worn. Generally, the pulleys themselves go long before the bearings.

If there is play in the parallelogram, you have to replace the derailleur.

That's about the long and short of it, most of the moving parts are not serviceable, aside from keeping it clean and lubricated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Ok great news. i've seen pulley replacement kits and even some that come with bearings that are ceramic....might be over kill.

In your experience do you feel the bearings have a good seal and don't trap water and dirt? i've oiled mine almost zero since i bought the dearilleur about 4 years ago.

Anythings special when buying the pulleys?

E

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My 2009 X.9 jockey wheels have bushings, not bearings. Was the 2008 model different?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    PRobably not. to be honest i haven't taken it apart. are the bushing something that can be replaced? I am curious why sram didn't put bearings in these things but maybe they figured the bushings would be satisfactory.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Bushings are usually fine in derailleurs; I had a bushinged derailleur that lasted 4k miles, and was still in good working order when I removed it. They could be replaced with an appropriate sized bushing, but tracking one down would likely be more expensive than aftermarket jockey wheels.

I can't imagine that the bushing would be bad and the wheel would be okay, though. Squirt some thick lube in and leave it be, if the teeth aren't worn.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    good advice. i'll take it apart and at least clean and look at it.

thanks.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Bushings are usually fine in derailleurs; I had a bushinged derailleur that lasted 4k miles, and was still in good working order when I removed it. They could be replaced with an appropriate sized bushing, but tracking one down would likely be more expensive than aftermarket jockey wheels.

I can't imagine that the bushing would be bad and the wheel would be okay, though. Squirt some thick lube in and leave it be, if the teeth aren't worn.

I modded mine from bearing to bushing

Infinite life RD bearing!
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.