Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Sort of the same for me. In fact, I run a Wolftooth oval on one bike and a round ring on the other. Both rigs get about equal ride time. If there is any difference, it's not something I can really put a finger on.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Sort of the same for me. In fact, I run a Wolftooth oval on one bike and a round ring on the other. Both rigs get about equal ride time. If there is any difference, it's not something I can really put a finger on.
    I'm wondering if this prevents a) muscles completely adapting to the oval and/or b) prevents "shock" by keeping your muscles adapted to both.

I had the worst cramps I've ever experienced when I hopped on a bike with round rings for the first time in months.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I'm wondering if this prevents a) muscles completely adapting to the oval and/or b) prevents "shock" by keeping your muscles adapted to both.

I had the worst cramps I've ever experienced when I hopped on a bike with round rings for the first time in months.

I use to get cramp, on round when I first started out...

Then I went Oval and cramp went away.

Back on round (for just a wee while), no cramps yet.

Think Oval taught me how to pedal more efficiently ;-)

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    Can't say I'm overly fond of the replacement cost.
    Subscribe to the OneUp email list. About once per quarter they do a scratch/dent sale. I bought my last OneUp oval for 30$ and couldn't find the scratch or the dent when it arrived.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    What makes you prefer the WT over the AB?
    The WT feels more natural coming from round rings than the AB. It's a subtle difference, and I adjust to either one pretty quickly, but the WT doesn't feel as weird as often, and I don't feel that the AB offers much if any performance advantage. For me. I also like that the WT is made in the U.S.

mtbr member
    Going back and forth between the ovals I have (OneUp, Garbaruk, AB, and the Ridea SXX1)...I can't really tell the difference the way the rings are clocked. All I can really tell is that they get me over the dead spot at bit quicker.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBurnsie View Post
    If running a clutched RD and NW ring, oval or round, you shouldn't need a chain retention device. The only time I dropped a chain is when my RD got hung up on a rock and broke the hanger. Other than that I've not dropped a chain.
    That's what people keep telling me. For whatever reason I'm just as good at dropping chains off of bikes as I am at tearing knobs off Schwalbe tires. Without a good chain retention device the chain just isn't going to stay on for long.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by noose View Post
    If I understand your question right I would say all genres benefit in different ways from oval but ss and xc for long climbs the most.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    I guess I was looking for a consensus on who uses them and benefits more on the different bikes. Breaking it down a bit I would think with the higher rev/cadence of typical XC bike riding over slower tech climbing of trail and pardon the catch phrase "enduro" riding.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by pcmark View Post
    OneUp has been clearing out their direct mount oval chain rings for $1 a tooth for awhile now. Selection is limited but I picked up a 30T cinch ring for $30 shipped.
    So a 30t oval correlates to a balance of 28/32 rings depending on the point of rotation? Or is it more of a 1t variation either way?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by JMac47; 03-20-2017 at 06:35 PM. Reason: typo

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    So a 30t oval correlates to a balance of 28/32 rings depending on the point of rotation? Or is it more of a 1t variation either way?

Thanks in advance.
    In my book 30t is 30t. Oval may have a smoother power delivery, but it still moves the same amount of chain every revolution. Smoother, but it's not magic IME.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    In my book 30t is 30t. Oval may have a smoother power delivery, but it still moves the same amount of chain every revolution. Smoother, but it's not magic IME.
    this
    2003 Kona A
    2005 Kona A
    2012 Cannondale Hooligan
    2016 Salsa Deadwood

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    My book doesn't even have a page for round mtb rings anymore.

mtbr member
    is that right? id assumed an oval ring - because of the radius at the point of drive from the bb centre - acted as a 2 teeth bigger ring. i assumed as much because the chain is only ever on so many teeth, so the radius seemed the most important factor - ie the leverage of the power delivery?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    You are moving more chain when your legs are making power, and less when they are not. I don't feel that I can push a bigger gear, but do feel smoother power delivery. 80 rpm is 80 rpm, round or oval. Maybe others do notice a bigger difference?

mtbr member
    The big difference I have noticed is knees. On 20+ mile rides my right knee would really start to hurt with round rings. I have done 30+ on oval with no issues.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Hhmmm. The old guys like me insist it's helped with transferring better traction and more importantly knee pain. 😜

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I agree on the traction, but my knees feel about the same.

Formerly of Kent
    I guess I was looking for a consensus on who uses them and benefits more on the different bikes. Breaking it down a bit I would think with the higher rev/cadence of typical XC bike riding over slower tech climbing of trail and pardon the catch phrase "enduro" riding.
    I've never heard of an Enduro race that had anything other than fire road climbs.

Well, lift served, I suppose, but "technical" climbing is not really a thing I, or most people, would associate with Enduro racing.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    I have an Absolute Black 30t Oval on...

28t at its narrow point & 32t at the widest point.

Smoother power delivery around the full pedal stroke.

No dead spot.

No hanging up during max.

Easier on the knees.

Legs, lungs less fatigued.

I hate that!! ;-P

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    ab, wt, 1up, are just a 99% copy of the rotor elliptical - without the adjustability-which is key to clock the shape to your pedaling style. Rotor rings were made for road bikes. They were designed with round and regular pedaling in mind. They are good for classic xc/marathon.

If you like the elliptical and want to try something that helps more with quick acceleration and good on mashing, I found the asymmetric rings being better.
    O-symmetric and a bunch of European brands make them (ari, carbon-ti, frm, stronghlight).
    Going from elliptical to asymmetric is the same difference as going from round to elliptical.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post

No dead spot.

Easier on the knees.

I hate that!! ;-P
    +1 lol
    2016 Transition Smuggler
    2016 TREK Fuel EX 9

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I've never heard of an Enduro race that had anything other than fire road climbs.

Well, lift served, I suppose, but "technical" climbing is not really a thing I, or most people, would associate with Enduro racing.

*Edit meaning the Enduro "bike" movement not racing per say.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkerfiveo View Post
    Subscribe to the OneUp email list. About once per quarter they do a scratch/dent sale. I bought my last OneUp oval for 30$ and couldn't find the scratch or the dent when it arrived.
    I'd be trying one of those even at full price(~$20 less than AB or Blackspire at jenson), but for the fact that I'm needing a 0 offset ring right now to make a SS conversion doable with a Blackspire Stinger.
    Getting another Absolute Black is quite ok with me, though.

Just from eyeballing them, I'm not seeing much difference between AB's shape or clocking and Blackspire or OneUp's. Not perfect, but I got these lined up pretty well with the photocollage thing on my phone:
    Anyone hate the Oval?-crs2.jpg
    Anyone hate the Oval?-crs1.jpg

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Oh crap, I thought it was broken. I held them up against each other and they were extremley close. My BS replace AB.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    I'd be trying one of those even at full price(~$20 less than AB or Blackspire at jenson), but for the fact that I'm needing a 0 offset ring right now to make a SS conversion doable with a Blackspire Stinger.
    Getting another Absolute Black is quite ok with me, though.

Just from eyeballing them, I'm not seeing much difference between AB's shape or clocking and Blackspire or OneUp's. Not perfect, but I got these lined up pretty well with the photocollage thing on my phone:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crs2.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	1128053
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crs1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	1128052
    I've got a OneUp (also picked up for $30), Absolute Black, Garbaruk, and Ridea. Honestly can't tell the difference in clocking on the rings.

I came across a German bike site (through Google Translate) and read that on back to back tests...they can't tell the difference in clocking on a AB and OneUp oval.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post

No dead spot.

Easier on the knees.

I hate that!! ;-P

That's my understanding too. 👍

mtbr member
    That's my understanding too. 👍
    :church:

Keep on Rockin...
    Oval rings have now been added to my long time "no-brainer" list of...

King rear hubs
    Oury grips
    Rethal bars
    XT brakes

Oval rings create a subtle, yet positive difference, in the motor. And no negatives, except a small additional cost.

I think I'm going to make a separate post.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Just reporting my initial impression of round to oval.

Yesterday was my first ride on a 5010 that was converted from 2x10 (22/36 with 11-40t) to 1x11 (30t 1up oval & 11-50t - m8000 with 1up 50&18). The whole drive train was replaced with moving to XTR shifter.

For the first few miles I was constantly shifting just to get the feel of the system. Had to stop and move the brake & shifter outward to get it in the right position for me. Then I started going through each sprocket with forward, then back pedaling to evaluate chainline and see if I was going to have any dropping between sprocket while back pedaling (common report). I had no issues, everything was shifting very smoothly.

Finally, after several miles I remembered the oval! By then it felt perfectly natural, I couldn't really tell any difference in the stroke. Took in up a climbing trail where I spent most of the time in the 37 & 42t sprockets - again very smooth transfer of power. The last couple hundred ft of trail ungulated and got steep enough that I needed my 50t. Again very smooth transfer of power, no lose of traction while riding near my climbing limit.

Positive initial impressions, but I have so many changes going on that I really need more mileage to truly evaluate the oval. One other impression is that I may get a 32t or 34t chainring for long rides that don't have steep climbing.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    After a few weeks, put a 30t round ring on and compare.
    I hated the round ring in low cadence, high power situations after being on oval.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I had a 3x on my old Trek Fuel Ex9 and I replaced the middle ring with an oval. After a while, even if I would change the ring to the smaller or bigger one (which where the original round ones) I was barely noticing the difference.
    Also, the brand I had, had 3 different mounting positions. So you could change the setup based on what you liked best. Unfortunately I don't remember the brand
    Edit: I found the brand. Q ring

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Increased traction, decreased knee pain. Worth the price to me for those two benefits.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Thanks for the comment targnik. Pretty much sums up most AB user experience.

mtbr member
    been on ab 32t oval for almost 2 years and i love it. been on my bike every weekend since then - dry, wet, mud, rain. m8000 rd still works fine.
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Can't remember for sure, but I thought I saw something about Sram rear derailleur s weren't oval friendly. I have no idea where I thought I saw this.

mtbr member
    Been using the Wolftooth oval. It has been great. It hasn't made me faster but more efficient. Helped my knee pain. They make it easier at the top of the stroke which is the most awkward position for you knees. So, on steeper technical climbs, it is easier to turn over the cranks.

The only downside I have seen is that it seems to drop chains easier due to the shape when your feet are in downhill positions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    Been using the Wolftooth oval. It has been great. It hasn't made me faster but more efficient. Helped my knee pain. They make it easier at the top of the stroke which is the most awkward position for you knees. So, on steeper technical climbs, it is easier to turn over the cranks.

The only downside I have seen is that it seems to drop chains easier due to the shape when your feet are in downhill positions.
    Pics or it didn't happen

I've been running Ovals for better part of two years

Both times I've dropped a chain was due to a stick getting in the drive train

Otherwise safe as houses

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzwardo View Post
    Can't remember for sure, but I thought I saw something about Sram rear derailleur s weren't oval friendly. I have no idea where I thought I saw this.
    I put about 1000 miles on an oval ring with a GX RD and never had any issues. Current bike has 250 miles on the same setup and problem free so far.

In the 250 miles I've put in my new bike I haven't run a chain guide and haven't dropped a chain yet.

mtbr member
    People say they don't get dropped chains on NW rings, but I dropped my chain on an AB 32t ring on my first ride with it. Maybe it was a fluke, but I've been running a OneUp chainguide ever since as a precaution. I couldn't say one way or the other if it's related to the oval ring, since this is my first 1x.

Overall, the oval has been cool. The only time I notice it is when I opt to spin at a high cadences, like 110rpm+, when not pushing very hard and my hub just barely disengages. Not a big deal, really, and there aren't that many times I spin like that.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Last night I dropped a chain while running an AB 32t oval and cheap 16t rear.
    Even when it dropped off the rear (flexy chain/narrow cog/the right bump perfect storm) it stayed on the front for 5-6 crank revolutions and rolling over bumpy ground.

mtbr member
    IME...when you do drop a chain on a narrow wide rings its one of those perfect storm type of situations. I'm not a competitive fast rider...but in my own riding experiences on a FS and HT...I have yet to drop a chain. Riding bike parks and shuttling...my chain hasn't dropped...not once. Having the chain the correct length is pretty important. I've come across many bikes with chains that are way too long. Only time I've ever had chain dropping issue was when I did 1x9 setups. I had two bikes with 9sp non clutch rear derailleurs. They were both FS and the chain would drop in the small cogs. When I went to a 1x10 ZEE...the dropped chains went away.

mtbr member
    I followed AB's guidelines on chain length, which is 2 half links more than I normally would go (4 total big to big). I'm running a GX clutch derailleur in the back.

Maybe I just got lucky on my first ride. I was pedaling kind of fast on a flat section, probably running a smaller cog in back, and glided over a choppy/rooty section. As I cleared the last of the roots, my chain popped off my chainring and caught on my shoe, strangely enough. I was able to use my foot to slide the chain back on and didn't even have to stop.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    As I cleared the last of the roots, my chain popped off my chainring and caught on my shoe, strangely enough. I was able to use my foot to slide the chain back on and didn't even have to stop.
    I'd say extremely lucky! That could've been bad!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by noose View Post
    Exactly what Streetdoctor said. I notice no difference in pedaling. I just put one on and didn't notice any negatives. I did notice more traction on climbs... Loving that!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    I have an Oval on my SS and my 29r trail bike FS, I've become so used to it I can ride my road bike with standard rings and feel no difference. Oval for steep tech climbing is remarkable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Back2MTB View Post
    I have an Oval on my SS and my 29r trail bike FS, I've become so used to it I can ride my road bike with standard rings and feel no difference. Oval for steep tech climbing is remarkable.
    :church:

Was riding with a bud on some pretty technical uphill on Monday.

He was following & later he was asking 'How the hell did you get up that!?'

NB, I have told him about the Oval goodness before

PS - One bit he didn't clean cost him 2 rear spokes

He still finished the ride (there was some steep, techy descents too)

Last edited by targnik; 1 Day Ago at 11:47 PM.

mtbr member

Anyone hate the Oval?

Quote Originally Posted by Back2MTB View Post
    Same. My fatbike and xc bike are oval. Only felt the weirdness for maybe a block on the way to the trailhead the first time. I cant tell the difference when i jump on my gravel bike with a 42 nw round or my mtbs with oval.

But when im seated or standing almost ready to bail climbing its so much easier on the knees with the oval.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    I followed AB's guidelines on chain length, which is 2 half links more than I normally would go (4 total big to big). I'm running a GX clutch derailleur in the back.

Maybe I just got lucky on my first ride. I was pedaling kind of fast on a flat section, probably running a smaller cog in back, and glided over a choppy/rooty section. As I cleared the last of the roots, my chain popped off my chainring and caught on my shoe, strangely enough. I was able to use my foot to slide the chain back on and didn't even have to stop.
    Mine is on a single speed. Was pedaling and the lower chain swung to the side and the next tooth on the cog went to the outside of an inner chain plate and peeled off from there. I've never run a cog as narrow before. Nor will I again.

mtbr member
    I'd say extremely lucky! That could've been bad!
    Yeah, it could have gotten ugly really quick. Whether it was a fluke or not, I feel a lot more secure with a chain guide. 32g is a small price to pay. Plus, the green guide looks cool on my bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    A big majority of reviews on ovals that I have read around the web have been positive. The theory that an oval could help a person apply power more smoothly on a steep climb sounds plausible to me. Think I am going to try one on my 1*10 mtb.

On the other hand, is it fair to conclude that big companies like Shimano, Sram and Race Face have concluded that there is no compelling benefit from oval rings--- as evidenced by them not producing oval rings, and that complete mtb manufacturers don't see any benefit in oval rings either --- as evidenced by them not specing oval rings on new bikes as original equipment?

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Higher spec or niche parts are almost never specced OEM.
    Ceramic pulleys, pedals, carbon bars, seats. All very individual.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12