Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 101 to 139 of 139
  1. #101
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    223
    I'm a huge oval fan and it does what they claim.
    May not make you faster but definitely makes it a bunch easier.

    I notice it's more advantageous on tight twisty xc courses where you need to accelerate through a bunch of corners.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #102
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by johnstone3 View Post
    On the other hand, is it fair to conclude that big companies like Shimano, Sram and Race Face have concluded that there is no compelling benefit from oval rings--- as evidenced by them not producing oval rings, and that complete mtb manufacturers don't see any benefit in oval rings either --- as evidenced by them not specing oval rings on new bikes as original equipment?
    This is because Oval Chain rings blow out their clutch mechanisms in their derailleurs over time.
    They would be supplying a new product to destroy another.
    I don't think the consumer base would take this kindly.

  3. #103
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MikeBurnsie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by Toot3344556 View Post
    This is because Oval Chain rings blow out their clutch mechanisms in their derailleurs over time.
    They would be supplying a new product to destroy another.
    I don't think the consumer base would take this kindly.
    I've been running clutched RD's and ovals for several years now and have not experienced that or have I heard of anyone experiencing that. Not saying it couldn't happen, but have not seen any evidence that it has.
    2016 Transition Patrol
    2011 Stump Jumper
    2005 Iron Horse Warrior

  4. #104
    Magically Delicious
    Reputation: Cleared2land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Toot3344556 View Post
    This is because Oval Chain rings blow out their clutch mechanisms in their derailleurs over time.
    Specifically, what is there to "blow out" in the clutch mechanism?

    The clutch mechanism is constantly in a dynamic state of movement that is not related to an oval chain ring. Every time you shift, compress the suspension or travel across any irregular ground that causes the chain to slap, the clutch mechanism is constantly in motion doing it's job.

    In a worse case scenario, I can see an increase in service intervals to keep the chain stabilizer (clutch and friction spring) properly lubricated. But I'm clueless to what could blow out.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

    Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

  5. #105
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RS VR6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Toot3344556 View Post
    This is because Oval Chain rings blow out their clutch mechanisms in their derailleurs over time.
    They would be supplying a new product to destroy another.
    I don't think the consumer base would take this kindly.
    #altfacts

  6. #106
    Armature speller
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Toot3344556 View Post
    This is because Oval Chain rings blow out their clutch mechanisms in their derailleurs over time.
    They would be supplying a new product to destroy another.
    I don't think the consumer base would take this kindly.
    Some people still​ run derailleurs? How quaint.

  7. #107
    Magically Delicious
    Reputation: Cleared2land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,239
    ^^^ There's a lot to be said about simplicity.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

    Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

  8. #108
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    223
    Right, not blow out but eventually that clutch will wear out.

    Does any of the oval producers have a patent on their designs?

    Trying to think of legit reasons why one of the big 2 won't jump on the bandwagon...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #109
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SteveF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,009
    Everything wears out "eventually." I'm not convinced that an oval ring would have any sort of significant effect on derailer lifespan.

  10. #110
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MikeBurnsie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    335
    ^^^ My thoughts exactly.
    2016 Transition Patrol
    2011 Stump Jumper
    2005 Iron Horse Warrior

  11. #111
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    223
    At the end of the day, it's still a design flaw.

  12. #112
    Magically Delicious
    Reputation: Cleared2land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,239
    Where's the design flaw?

    A serious question. The clutched derailleurs work as intended and I don't see the problem.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

    Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

  13. #113
    mtbr member
    Reputation: s0ckeyeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,762
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    Where's the design flaw?

    A serious question. The clutched derailleurs work as intended and I don't see the problem.
    Yeah. We want an explanation...and some decent evidence.

  14. #114
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    223
    Problem is that the clutch to engages on every pedal stroke. There will be a massive amount of people turned off this and claim lost power and worry that the system isn't robost.

    That being said, Sram isn't a company that would release ovals without engineering the snot of it like they did for the eagle.
    They spend a lot of time on engineering their products and this would constitute as incompatible components.

    That being said, Sram could easily redesign the clutch to ignore the chatter from the oval kind of like a threshold max like when the brain front suspension hits something hard enough it gives.

    I can't see Shimano touching ovals whatsoever.

    Disengage your clutch and watch how smoothly the mech moves as the tension on the chain changes.

  15. #115
    Magically Delicious
    Reputation: Cleared2land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,239
    Disengage the clutch and see how easy it shifts and how much chain slap you get. We all have our crosses to bear.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

    Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

  16. #116
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    19
    I try out 3 oval at the end i go with china brand oval "Stone"
    It sync with my timing...lol

  17. #117
    Magically Delicious
    Reputation: Cleared2land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,239
    ^^^ Uhhh?
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

    Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

  18. #118
    it's....
    Reputation: Strafer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,067
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    ^^^ Uhhh?
    Meaning he made a knock off design and called it "Stone".

  19. #119
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RS VR6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Toot3344556 View Post
    Problem is that the clutch to engages on every pedal stroke. There will be a massive amount of people turned off this and claim lost power and worry that the system isn't robost.

    That being said, Sram isn't a company that would release ovals without engineering the snot of it like they did for the eagle.
    They spend a lot of time on engineering their products and this would constitute as incompatible components.

    That being said, Sram could easily redesign the clutch to ignore the chatter from the oval kind of like a threshold max like when the brain front suspension hits something hard enough it gives.

    I can't see Shimano touching ovals whatsoever.

    Disengage your clutch and watch how smoothly the mech moves as the tension on the chain changes.
    On a full suspension bike...would your clutch not "engage" each time the suspension compresses? What about leaving your bike parked with the cage extended? Doesn't that leave constant tension on the clutch? Each shift up the cassette will put tension on the clutch. Are you not wearing out the clutch just by riding your bike? I would be more concerned about those before the miniscule movement created from an oval ring.

    The shifting is generally smoother on a Shimano derailleur with the clutch off anyways. I had a ZEE derailleur that came from the factory with a clutch so tight...that it caused the shifting to be extremely poor. I had to loosen the clutch to get it to shift properly. The shifting on the SRAM 11sp setup is incredibly smooth and light compared to the 11sp Shimano.

    The derailleur movement is so minimal from the effects of the oval.

    So far I have yet to read about a derailleur clutch that got worn out prematurely from an oval ring. If the oval did wear out the clutches prematurely...wouldn't SRAM or Shimano have some kind of disclaimer on their warranty that they would not cover derailleur failures if used with oval rings?

  20. #120
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    223

    Anyone hate the Oval?

    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    On a full suspension bike...would your clutch not "engage" each time the suspension compresses? What about leaving your bike parked with the cage extended? Doesn't that leave constant tension on the clutch? Each shift up the cassette will put tension on the clutch. Are you not wearing out the clutch just by riding your bike? I would be more concerned about those before the miniscule movement created from an oval ring.

    The shifting is generally smoother on a Shimano derailleur with the clutch off anyways. I had a ZEE derailleur that came from the factory with a clutch so tight...that it caused the shifting to be extremely poor. I had to loosen the clutch to get it to shift properly. The shifting on the SRAM 11sp setup is incredibly smooth and light compared to the 11sp Shimano.

    The derailleur movement is so minimal from the effects of the oval.

    So far I have yet to read about a derailleur clutch that got worn out prematurely from an oval ring. If the oval did wear out the clutches prematurely...wouldn't SRAM or Shimano have some kind of disclaimer on their warranty that they would not cover derailleur failures if used with oval rings?
    The original argument was, "why doesn't sram or shimano produce and sell oval chainrings with their drivetrains".


    Im simply stating that neither sram or shimano will sell ovals without redesigning their clutch mechanism.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  21. #121
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k2rider1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Rist View Post
    Interesting, I have opposite experience. I don't feel any difference (compared to round charinrings) during slow and grind or normal to fast riding. However, very high cadence pedal smashing where I would jump in the saddle with normal chainrings, the oval allows me to pedal more smoothly.

    Another, unrelated tidbit: I have road bike with regular round chainrings and mountainbike with oval - I don't feel any weirdness when switching from one to another. First couple of rides with oval were a bit weird, though.

    Considering that oval and regular chainrings cost about the same, I will choose oval again in the future.
    I agree and I'm about two weeks away from having an Absolute Black oval on all my bikes.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

  22. #122
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    19
    The brand name is "STONE"

  23. #123
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RS VR6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Toot3344556 View Post
    The original argument was, "why doesn't sram or shimano produce and sell oval chainrings with their drivetrains".


    Im simply stating that neither sram or shimano will sell ovals without redesigning their clutch mechanism.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is that straight from Shimano and SRAM or a guess from you?

  24. #124
    Armature speller
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Toot3344556 View Post
    The original argument was, "why doesn't sram or shimano produce and sell oval chainrings with their drivetrains".


    Im simply stating that neither sram or shimano will sell ovals without redesigning their clutch mechanism.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Too much of a niche market.

  25. #125
    mtbr member
    Reputation: s0ckeyeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,762
    I think it's more likely that SRAM, Shimano, and Race Face aren't jumping on the oval bandwagon because it's not a big enough market yet. Plus there is little scientific evidence suggesting significant performance advantages from oval rings. Most studies I've seen show little difference between round and oval rings. I know if I were a major manufacturer, I wouldn't rush into things.

  26. #126
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    223
    That's also possible.

    The evidence is misleading because ovals don't actually make you faster. It just makes it easier to go as fast as someone without an oval. LOL
    Plus, less strain on the knees.

    That's at least my interpretation from my experiences.

  27. #127
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Is that straight from Shimano and SRAM or a guess from you?
    Guess from me.

    I work in a business as an end user of a bunch of different electrical components and there's no way a major manufacturer would take someones else's product and slap it on their own without redesigning it to be flawless.

    Couple that with the fact that SRAM takes a lot of pride in delivering top notch components in engineering.

    I don't buy the niche market thing because if SRAM says it's awesome, people will buy into it.

  28. #128
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    100
    Well, I'm now a dissenter.

    I switched to 1X earlier this year, and changed to a Shimano XT M8000 cranks, with an Absolute Black 32 tooth oval ring. I've done a lot of mileage since then, including some 5 hour rides, and a lot of climbing.
    I just haven't really got on with the oval. I've had very sore calves after riding, I've felt I've had less traction when climbing on loose surfaces. On steep, technical climbs, I found I was stalling on the start of the down stroke, if I got caught on a rock or bump, I found it hard to get over that dead spot. My times up climbs have also been down.

    So, I switched to a OneUp 32 tooth round ring today, and did a 5:35 ride, 83km, 2100m climbing, and everything felt good again, no pain in my calves, happy on steep, loose climbs etc.
    So, for me, I won't be going back to oval.

  29. #129
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    403
    Quote Originally Posted by ManxShred View Post
    Well, I'm now a dissenter.

    I switched to 1X earlier this year, and changed to a Shimano XT M8000 cranks, with an Absolute Black 32 tooth oval ring. I've done a lot of mileage since then, including some 5 hour rides, and a lot of climbing.
    I just haven't really got on with the oval. I've had very sore calves after riding, I've felt I've had less traction when climbing on loose surfaces. On steep, technical climbs, I found I was stalling on the start of the down stroke, if I got caught on a rock or bump, I found it hard to get over that dead spot. My times up climbs have also been down.

    So, I switched to a OneUp 32 tooth round ring today, and did a 5:35 ride, 83km, 2100m climbing, and everything felt good again, no pain in my calves, happy on steep, loose climbs etc.
    So, for me, I won't be going back to oval.
    Degree of ovality goes up w/size with AB.
    Go Wolftooth 10% across the range.

  30. #130
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by ManxShred View Post
    On steep, technical climbs, I found I was stalling on the start of the down stroke,.
    I must say, I am finding the same thing with steep tech stuff. It may have something to do with my skill level too, but I think the top of the curve for my AB makes it difficult too.

    I may try a wolftooth to see if I notice any difference.


    Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

  31. #131
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    100
    I'm going to stick with round. I'm a few weeks away from my big event, so even changing to round was a difficult choice, but I'm not changing again now.

  32. #132
    formerly shabadu
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by Toot3344556 View Post
    Right, not blow out but eventually that clutch will wear out.

    Does any of the oval producers have a patent on their designs?

    Trying to think of legit reasons why one of the big 2 won't jump on the bandwagon...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rotor has a patent for the adjustability of their oval rings. Not so much an issue on mtb bikes, but much more relevant on the road side of things.

    Lots of credible rumors at Sea Otter that SRAM is going to launch an oval ring.

  33. #133
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    413
    WR304 has an interesting post about oval vs round, and the different muscles that seem to be overloaded:

    Power2Max MTB Power Meter - Page 5- Mtbr.com

    I'm oval curious, but kind of want to know more about which muscles are being used.

  34. #134
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron View Post
    Rotor has a patent for the adjustability of their oval rings. Not so much an issue on mtb bikes, but much more relevant on the road side of things.

    Lots of credible rumors at Sea Otter that SRAM is going to launch an oval ring.

    Pics or it didn't happen...

  35. #135
    Magically Delicious
    Reputation: Cleared2land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,239
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron View Post
    Rotor has a patent for the adjustability of their oval rings.

    Feel free to expand on that statement.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

    Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

  36. #136
    mtbr member
    Reputation: targnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4,140
    Quote Originally Posted by zooey View Post
    I'm oval curious, but kind of want to know more about which muscles are being used.
    Uhhh....

    Your leg muscles

    Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

  37. #137
    mtbr member
    Reputation: s0ckeyeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,762
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    Feel free to expand on that statement.
    https://www.google.com/patents/US7749117

  38. #138
    mtbr member
    Reputation: leathernuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    309
    Interesting to read all the posts. From day one I did not notice a difference except for when I'm climbing a long fire road where I'm just spinning, I noticed the oval to be smoother and consistent. Like the dead spot were removed.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  39. #139
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    223
    So I have an XTR crank with 88 BCD... Pretty much no one makes an oval chain ring in that size. I mean, F-IT at this point I'd buy some cheap korean/tawainieese Oval off ali-baba express if it was in 88BCD!!!

    I've been on AB's oval for about 500 miles and can't picture myself going back to round.

    My plan was to get a 32t(currently on a 34) for rides where I won't be needing that high end and mount to the xtr crank...

    Should I even bother?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. round vs oval cr
    By ejh in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-15-2016, 08:40 AM
  2. Found this, I hate the people who hate bikers
    By chaloopy in forum Passion
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 10-04-2014, 08:54 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-19-2014, 09:33 AM
  4. Songs You Love To Hate, and Hate To Love?
    By petey15 in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-18-2013, 09:12 PM
  5. I hate the LBS, I hate where I live
    By Drth Vadr in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 02-20-2012, 11:05 AM

Members who have read this thread: 20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •