mtbr member
    Sep 2005

anyone got a Sturmey Archer xrk8 hub?

just wondering if anyone had used, seen or heared otherwise about the new sturmey archer 8speed hubs. the xrk8 model also has a 6 bolt disc mount! nice looking gear.

also does anyone know where i can get one, i live in Australia and we know longer have an SA distributor.

cheers

SHANE

mtbr member
    Sturmey was bought by SunRace, and the new hubs are coming from Taiwan. They don't list an Ausi distributer, but you may be able to order direct.

doc optic
    Sep 2005
    Anyone with experience obtaining this piece or know of any North American distributors? Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2004

They are comming

I spoke with the European and North American distributors about 3 months ago (October). They said that those hubs will not be available until sometime this January or Feburary.

Quality Bike Parts will carry them; so you should be able to special order from your LBS. Also, Harris Cyclery carrys S-A products. They already have a front drum brake hub and rear drum brake freewheel hub. The former showed up about 2 months ago and the later just a week or two ago. The new 8 speed rears should be here withing another month and a half.

I was told that pricing would be a little under Shimano's offerings. Which, I hope, will set the price for gear selector and unbraked rear hub at $200 or less.

Our best bet is to call Harris Cyclery (you might even get to talk to Sheldon Brown) and ask them when the geared hubs are comming. I haven't asked. Harris Cyclery may be able to get them in now; or you could place an order for one and be the first to have it.
    Bankrupt the terrorists: commute by bike.

doc optic
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the response long_strange_ride . I tried to email Sturmey directly and recieved no response. I will try the routes you mentioned. Do you know how well a piece like this would stand up to moderate single-track use?

mtbr member
    May 2004

I would ride DH on it

...if I could get my hands on one. I bet it would hold up just fine for XC.

important note: 1st. gear is direct drive. gears 2 through 8 are all increases. So, for XC use we will need a sprocket of at least 28 teeth and preferably 32. We will have to pressure the forces that be to get such a cog. They don't make one that big now.

Perhaps Boone or Action Tec will make one for us. This gearing is unique to the S-A hubs. Shimano puts 1:1 smack dab in the middle of their Nexus hubs.

At a claimed 1500 grams, this hub is light for am 8 speed. The huge-cog requirement is the price we pay.

I have yet to see a pic of the gear selector.

mtbr member
    any idea on the efficiency of these? I'd like to use an internal hub for 'bent racing but rolhoff's have a ton of friction going on in there.

mtbr member
    May 2004

efficiency is not the reason we want internal gearing

Instead, think of the inefficiency when you are mashing a shift that won't go. Think of the inefficiency when you are in the smallest cog but need to be all the way in the largest and you are moving slowly up a steep hill. This is where the real gains are to be had with internal gearing..

I believe the Rolhoff uses an oil bath. Shimano Nexus hubs use grease. I test rode a new 8 speed Nexus in a parking lot. I couldn't detect any losses.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kbiker3111
    ...but rolhoff's have a ton of friction going on in there.
    I would dissagree with you, as would those that made measurements. But we're all allowed our opinions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Idea! Sturmey XRK8 availability

Hi all,

I'm after one of them new fangled hubs and a singlespeed 29er to make my ideal maintainence free hybrid commuter machine. I've been in contact with a bloke called Bill Nicholls who knows a thing or two. (The emails below are in reverse order)

Hello

Sorry not good news, deliveries to Europe for aftermarket sales are likely to arrive by mid-April. the delay has been caused by larger than planned orders from bicycle assemblers.

Bill

wrote:
    Any news? Still waiting for a reliable Rohloff alternative...

W NICHOLS wrote: Hello

Shipment has been delayed while a modification is made to the gear change, we now expect delivery end of January.

Bill

wrote:
    Hi,
    Any update on the disc hub? Am waiting to buy a Gary Fisher Rig (singlespeed with eccentric bb) once I know the disc hub is available to install to make the ultimate low maintainance commuter 29er!
    Cheers,
    Pete.

W NICHOLS wrote:
    Hello

Your enquiry has been passed to me as the UK agent for Sturmey Archer. the 8 speed disc compatible hub should be available in late December at a retail price of 170/175.00 inc VAT.

Our distributor, The Cycle Division Ltd, 01484 456137, will be able to give you the name of your nearest stockist.

Best regards

Bill nichols

Not sure how much use this is outside of the UK but if there's excessive demand in Europe I presume that is a worldwide factor.