mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Anyone ever try a XT-M786 FD with 22-32-bash?

I picked myself up a 10 speed SLX triple crankset, but am planning on taking off the large chainring and running it as a 22-32 double + bash. I was originally going to get a 10sp triple front derailleur and setting the top limit screw in, but now I am curious about the XT-M786, which is the XT FD for doubles. The specs for this FD say:

44-38 tooth outer ring compatible, total capacity 14 teeth

Since my outer chainring will only 32t, it seems that while this double FD might work, there might not really be any advantage at all, since its designed for a much large outer chainring than what I intend to use.

Then there is the complication of the shifters. Is there even such a thing as indexed shifters for doubles? (And are actuation ratios for these FDs/shifters all the same?) After thinking about it for a while, I think I might just go with the standard 3x10 front derailleur and standard triple shifter, and set the limit screw in, just to be safe because I know this will work. But I can't help but wonder about what the double FD would be like.

Thanks for the help. I tried searching for answers, but I'm still not 100% clear about this particular FD.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I use the XT M786 f.d. with a 22/33/bash and it works fine. The XT triple f.d. also works fine. The advantage of the double f.d. is that the cage is smaller so it might give you some more rear tire clearance. The disadvantage is that the chain will drag on the cage a little bit in the small chainring/small cog combo, but I never use that combo anyway.

It works fine with indexed shifters. I have it on one bike with the new XT M780 front shifters, which can be switched between double and triple. I have it on another bike with X0 9-speed twist shifters (non-indexed front shifter).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone ever try a XT-M786 FD with 22-32-bash?-xt-fd.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    I use the XT M786 f.d. with a 22/33/bash and it works fine. The XT triple f.d. also works fine. The advantage of the double f.d. is that the cage is smaller so it might give you some more rear tire clearance. The disadvantage is that the chain will drag on the cage a little bit in the small chainring/small cog combo, but I never use that combo anyway.

It works fine with indexed shifters. I have it on one bike with the new XT M780 front shifters, which can be switched between double and triple. I have it on another bike with X0 9-speed twist shifters (non-indexed front shifter).

Thanks a lot for this information and photo! This is very helpful. I think I might just go for the triple fd then, since I don't anticipate using huge tires and so probably won't have tire clearance issues!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    These aren't great photos, but you can kind of see the difference between the triple f.d. (with the XT cranks) and the double f.d. (with the X0 cranks).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone ever try a XT-M786 FD with 22-32-bash?-xt-cranks-001.jpg  

Anyone ever try a XT-M786 FD with 22-32-bash?-tallboy-dec11-034.jpg