Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!

Anyone else have problems with XT 760 Rear Derailluer?

After years of having good luck with XT parts, I have had nothing but problems with my new rear derailluer. On either the second or third ride, the part of the that holds the cable tension bolt got bent inside the derailluer which only allowed shifting between cogs 2-5 on my cassette. After bending it back with a screwdriver, I was still having some shifting issues and I discovered that the barrel adjuster was massively bent also. I replaced it with some spare parts but I'm really questioning the quality of this derailluer. Did I get a bad one or are others having similar problems? Or is it jealous that I paired it with SRAM shifters when I replaced my drivetrain?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You damage it , then crudely repair it , and blame the part!

What's wrong with this picture?

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by jkittlesen
    What's wrong with this picture?
    I've owned 4 other XT derailluers, one XTR and one STX in the past 10 years and NEVER had issues with any of them. If I had taken a serious hit to the derailluer, I wouldn't be as bummed but it seems like a poorly designed product based on my experience. I was just wondering if anyone else had similar problems.

Right Coast
    I've been running the 760 hard for 6 months now and have had no problems other than routine adjustments.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

consider this...

It doesn't take much of a change in the position of that cable anchor bolt to affect how far the derailleur moves per unit of cable pull. After all, it is the thing that makes the difference in the whole 1:1 vs 2:1 thing of SRAM vs S. So perhaps you didn't get that back to exactly where it was before the damage. Careful with further bending; it's likley to snap off. Also make sure the cable is clamped on the correct side of the bolt; that can make a big difference as well.

Have you checked the hanger? Again, small misalignments, undetectable by just eyeballing it, can cause big problems.
    Last edited by alibi; 08-26-2004 at 04:09 PM.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by alibi
    Have you checked the hanger? Again, small misalignments, undetectable by just eyeballing it, can cause big problems.
    I did check the alignment when I re-hung the derailluer and it was fine. I rode it tonight and had very decent performance--hopefully this was an isolated incedent and I'll get a few years of riding out of it like I did the last one.

the catalan connection

Cable entrance is very exposed.......

...and that is sh*no fault. I do not have an XT , but in the XTR (which is overall the same dimensions) the part of the derrailleur body where the housing fits is extremely vulnerable.Is actually the outmost bit of the whole body, and you can beat it simply taking the bike out the door.
    Non RR derailleurs did not have this problem becouse cable was pulling the parallelogram from the other (inner) side.
    I got no problems so far, but would like to see some more aluminum around that spot...but then it would probably get beyond the 200 g border,...mmmm
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot