mtbr member
    Mar 2005

anyone else have problems clipping into Frogs?

I'm eager to finally go clipless on my MTB but it looks like the only thing someone with bad knees should consider is Frogs (which I have been using on my road bike for 4 years). This is from reading tons of reviews here yesterday. So many people said they were easy to get in and out of but I often have trouble clipping in and have false clip-ins where my foot just comes right off after a couple of revs. I'd hate to have that problem on a hill, but then I have plenty of problems with regular clips too. But at least there is more platform

Now, maybe I got a bad pair of Frogs, because other users say they've *never* had any problems with them. Also I heard they were redesigned since then too.

Anyone with recent experience with the new Frogs??

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

My Feelings

First I will start by saying that I havent used the redesigned Frogs yet.

I will say that Frogs have a very vague feeling when clipping in. There is really nothing to let you know you are clipped in. That takes a bit of getting used to as does the float. I have never had a problem of not getting clipped in. Just step on them and the cleats engage.

I've ridden pretty much every clipless pedal system out there besides EggBeaters and keep comming back to Frogs. Initially I got them for weight savings and hated the float but stuck with them. I grew to love the float and the fact that there is no retaining spring so there is 0 (zero) pressure required to unclip.

khj
    BOOYAKASHA!
    Quote Originally Posted by MTDirtGirl
    I'm eager to finally go clipless on my MTB but it looks like the only thing someone with bad knees should consider is Frogs (which I have been using on my road bike for 4 years). This is from reading tons of reviews here yesterday. So many people said they were easy to get in and out of but I often have trouble clipping in and have false clip-ins where my foot just comes right off after a couple of revs. I'd hate to have that problem on a hill, but then I have plenty of problems with regular clips too. But at least there is more platform

Now, maybe I got a bad pair of Frogs, because other users say they've *never* had any problems with them. Also I heard they were redesigned since then too.

Anyone with recent experience with the new Frogs??
    I just looked at speedplay.com, and their newly redesigned Frog looks like the same pedals I used in '97 or so. I eventually ditched them because of too man instances of pulling out of them on climbs when I thought I was clipped in but really wasn't. Apparently a good way to make sure you're truly engaged is to move around in the pedal even after you hear the click and that will clear out the gunk that might lead to pulling out of the pedal at inopportune times. I've been using ATAC's since then, and there's certainly no doubt whether you're clipped into those or not. It's just too bad that they're so heavy.

mtbr platinum member
    I don't think that they actually redesigned the pedal, but they have made several revisions of the cleats over the years. I have some of the original cleats which were good. The G2 cleats sucked, and people seemed to have major issues getting in and out of the pedals. The 'New' G3 cleat that they offer seems to be much better than the G2, and seems to be just as easy to engage as the original cleats.

The Frogs are more vague in their engagement, but they do make a subtle click that you can feel once you're in. You almost feel the click, rather than hear it but it isn't anything like Shimano or Time's solid and reassuring 'clack'.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

Combat Wombat

I have Frogs on two bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerx40
    I don't think that they actually redesigned the pedal, but they have made several revisions of the cleats over the years. I have some of the original cleats which were good. The G2 cleats sucked, and people seemed to have major issues getting in and out of the pedals. The 'New' G3 cleat that they offer seems to be much better than the G2, and seems to be just as easy to engage as the original cleats.

The Frogs are more vague in their engagement, but they do make a subtle click that you can feel once you're in. You almost feel the click, rather than hear it but it isn't anything like Shimano or Time's solid and reassuring 'clack'.
    You are right about the pedal design, it is not different. The cleat is what has been redesigned. I have been using Frogs for 8 years and currently have the the second generation cleats on my shoes. I have found that as long as they are kept well lubed, they do work fine. Forget to lube them one too many rides and they can be damn near impossible to engage. I usually give them a good coat of Krytec about every other ride.
    I have only seen pictures of the latest cleat and it does look like it should function better than the 2nd generation cleats. It looks like they just added a ramp to the locking devise on the cleat. I still have a new set of the G2's from the second set of Frogs I bought a few years ago. I actually e-mailed Speedplay, asking if it was possible to retrofit this part to these cleats, but never received a reply. Kind of disappointing, considering that since I have at one time or another used 4 different brands of clipless pedals and now have Speedplays on every bike I own.

Brian

Just ride!

I use the Frog pedal on both my mountain and road bikes

and I have been experiencing the same problem with the the pedal releasing on the upstroke.

I called Speedplay about the new third generation cleat. The very nice person told me the cantilever in the middle has been redesigned to correct the release problem with the second generation cleat. He sent me out a pair of the new cantilevers to correct the problem.

Hopefully this will solve the problem!