mtbr member

Anyone else had trouble with Acera M590 rear der.?

I built a bike for a friend yesterday with Acera 9spd stuff. All new parts. The rear der. shifted like crap and couldn't be adjusted to make it right. I noticed that the top jockey pulley wobbled side to side so I took both off and swapped them around. When I got it apart I saw that the pressed in bushing for the top one was put in a little crooked. I know they're different for a reason and running them backwards is not a good long-term solution, but it got it to shift perfectly.

Question is, is this kind of quality oversight becoming common on Shimano stuff? I've actually gotten very good service from their lower end stuff before, but this and a recent HG73 chain that stretched about 1/8" in about 10 rides is making me start to wonder what's going on.

mtbr member
    On 7-9 speed, the top Jockey wheel is suppose to move side to side to allow for imperfect adjustment. When Dynasys was released, that feature appears to be removed (heard about and can confirm my M675 & 663 SLX RDR's don't. Wit that said, I bought aftermarket Jockey wheels which had no side to side and when adjusted perfectly, shifted great.
    Have you checkd the derailleur hanger for straightness with a park alignment tool? That might be the cause.

mtbr member
    Problem was not the pulley moving side to side but that it rotated in a plane that was not vertical due to the bushing being installed crooked. It looked like a dado blade in woodworking if you know what that is. It would force the chain against the next highest cog and then 180 degrees of rotation later would try to drop the chain down to the next smallest cog. You could only see the problem when the chain was rolling over the pulley. Looked like a badly out of true wheel. This was right out of the box. Hadn't even been ridden yet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    send it back to the shop, shimano are generally very good on warranty stuff in my experience - even on low end stuff. I had the ratchet seize within two weeks in a replacement 7 speed megadrive freewheel I installed for someone; the LBS just gave me another and sent the failed one back to shimano no questions asked - I know the mechanic there pretty well and he said it's never a problem with Shimano

mtbr member
    I'm sure that could be done since it is new, but it was ordered online and we're in China. I doubt we'd have trouble with Shimano standing behind it, but the seller might be a problem. Being without the part would be a problem too. I'm not sure what she'll want to do.

Overall I was just curious about the experiences of others, partly because of my recent chain experiences.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Run as is and Order up another set of Jockey wheels - they are only a few dollars - but shipping will be extra

Shimano Jockey Wheels - MTB | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

I have to say Shimano QAQC has always seemed to be OK to me - I've used Shimano a lot and the 7 speed freewheel issue is the only return I can remember having to make

mtbr member
    I looked at the Alivio M430 I have in the garage, it has maybe 100 miles and is basically the same as you describe, the side to side can also go slightly cocked. Since they are low end, I doubt you would find much difference if returned. As above, a new set of Jockey Wheels (potentially from Deore or above) would remedy. The M430 I have shift real well, but it's on a loaner bike since I prefer the Shadow series.