I rode 'Whistler XC'

Anyone else had issues with a Powerlink breaking...?

Snapped my chain today. Stopped to find that the Powerlink had split.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Reason I ask is that this is the second time in 3 months that it's happened to me.

I'll try post pics later. Basically, on the pin the edges of the groove where the plate hooks into the pin sheered off.

Not very confidence inspiring when you wanna get outta the saddle and hammer up a climb

...idios...
    Many, many people, including Shimano and KMC users, use Powerlinks without issue. With respect, unless you happen to have gotten a handful from a faulty batch, you may want to have your connection method double-checked.. Would you consider yourself a 'light' shifter, or do you change gear with your weight on the crank?

EDR
    I've been using the same one on an XTR chain for about a year, no issues.

Never enough time to ride
    I've been running them for years now and have never broken one.

But I've worked on a few bikes where the rider has broken one or is having problems with them. 9 times out of 10 it turns out that the customer had removed it to clean the chain and didn't get one or both of the pins in completely or seated completey before they started riding.

Another thing I see frequently is riders trying to shift uphill under full power, yeah that's just a recipe for disaster for any chain or link! The only other faillure I've seen is cracked link plates and that's usually indicative of a batch that didn't get through heat treat quite right.

Best advice, is don't give up on them they're great, double check to make sure everything is seated properly and lined up when you remove or reinstall the link and ease off the cranks when you shift.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

blithering idiot
    I've broken one in three years, about 2000 miles of dirt riding. And at that, I was standing on the pedals climbing a steep very rocky section. I weighed 240lbs at the time. It was likely during a front chainring derail, as that has happen a couple of times in that exact section of trail.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Been using Sram Powerlinks for 'round 8 years on a number of bikes, not a single failure. I sometimes re-use them when I swap on a new chain, to keep the new ones as spares.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Former Bike Wrench
    Only quick link I ever saw fail when I used to work on bikes was a IRD

I personally have used SRAM gold prolinks on my 9 speed chains (usually Dura Ace/XTR) for years with nary an issue.

willtsmith_nwi
    I've broken a couple but I'm 280#. I've also broken normal links as well. It happens.

I rode 'Whistler XC'
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm confident they were both installed properly. Lke I said, the edges of the groove were sheared off. I think I still have the previous one somewhere....will try post pics.

I have also been using them for years and will continue to do so. I was just wondering if ayone had had a similar experience.

I assume it might just be an issue with a bad batch or something.

g3h6o3
    I've seen this once on my ex-girlfriend's bike when riding Mary's loop in Fruita. We we're on the edge of a 100 foot cliff but have been lucky enough to find the quicklink and keep on riding. I've got a friend to whom this has happenned a coupel of time and since then he always uses shimano chains. One way or another you gotta be prepared for a failing chain and bring your chain tool on every ride...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I had one break at Whistler riding A-line. Came undone I guess, couldn't find the links.

Chains break sometimes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I have broken a power-link. The pin sheared off the plate like yours. Put a new one on, and have been good for about 8 months. I always have an extra P-L on the trail as well as some other nuts and bolts.

I rode 'Whistler XC'
    I generally carry a full toolkit including 2-3 powerlinks. Have given away several to other riders while riding.

However, at some point in the last couple weeks I repacked my Camelbak and forgot them. Luckily I had my chaintool with me!

Go Bruins!

just adding...

I just had a new chain installed on my bike a few weeks ago. On my ride on Sunday, my Powerlink exploded after dropping a 2 footer. I couldn't find the link in the fall leaves around here. I ended up taking out a link to match back up, because I didn't have a spare Powerlink. Funny thing is, the chain being a link or two smaller, shifts much smoother and faster now that it is a little shorter. I might keep it, but I worry about durability issues. I like to hammer up hills when I can, but I do tend to shift "lightly" to avoid too much damage to the drivetrain. Any idea on how much strength I can still expect from this chain?

College Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by ooctrl
    I just had a new chain installed on my bike a few weeks ago. On my ride on Sunday, my Powerlink exploded after dropping a 2 footer. I couldn't find the link in the fall leaves around here. I ended up taking out a link to match back up, because I didn't have a spare Powerlink. Funny thing is, the chain being a link or two smaller, shifts much smoother and faster now that it is a little shorter. I might keep it, but I worry about durability issues. I like to hammer up hills when I can, but I do tend to shift "lightly" to avoid too much damage to the drivetrain. Any idea on how much strength I can still expect from this chain?

Just do not run Big-Big and it should be fine. You are missing what 1 link. that means all shucks you can not run your to largest back cogs with your large chain ring at most. No a real lose there.

I ran a chain 3 links short for most of the summer and never hand a issue with it.

mtbr member
    I also had a Powerlink shear the way others described during a downhill run.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I broke two powerlinks back in 2004. One was on my DH bike, landing a big drop, pedalling hard for the next gap. Other was on my trailbike, doing an urban 3-foot step-up onto a ledge. Neither resulted in an injury but I stopped using powerlinks because the consequences are too high for my riding style. Asked the LBS owner and he said he's never seen or heard of anybody else having problems.

I rode 'Whistler XC'
    Here's a pic of the link
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    so the link was held onto by the chain...i've broken a powerlink, but the link just vanished into the trail dirt, wanted to find it to see what exactly happened to it...probably exactly like your
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I've broken 3 or 4 Power Links on my DH bike, they seemed to last 6 months at best.They only cost a couple of bucks so I've got into the habit of replacing them every couple of months now
    I haven't broken any on my XC bike.