mtbr member
    Nov 2006

New question here. Any real difference between M771 vs M772 Derailleurs?

Yeah one tucks in a little more to avoid damage, but is there another reason to chose one over the other? Are the springs the same? Is shifting better on one over the other? Is cable routing different than the other? I'm looking to upgrade soon. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I run a Shimano XT M772 Shadow SGS Longcage and I have never had any problems with it so far. I also think its the nicest looking XT out there. I think they are on sale online for like $69 right now too. I have never used the 771.

http://wheelworld.com/product/shiman...ormal-7041.htm

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The shadow m772 does look cooler, has anyone used the m771? 69 bucks is a good price. I'll probably do some price comparisons between the two and then decide.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderoo222
    Yeah one tucks in a little more to avoid damage, but is there another reason to chose one over the other? Are the springs the same? Is shifting better on one over the other? Is cable routing different than the other? I'm looking to upgrade soon. Thanks
    Springs aren't quite the same (even though both models you mention are high normal type), the 772 is a bit stronger and it doesn't pivot forward which eliminates chainstay contact, also has a more direct cable routing. I find they both shift well (use both), but I really don't notice the difference.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Hmmm, eliminates chainstay contact.... thats a good thing!. I think I would prefer the 772 with my riding style. Thanks!