mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Any problems running FSA chainrings on XT cranks?

Just bought some FSA chainrings to replace my worn Shimano rings. A friend has told me that I will have shifting problems running anything other than Shimano chainrings on the XT cranks. First time I heard that. Is he right or am I good to go with the FSA rings?

thanks.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I have never heard anything like this. They should work fine.

Was your friend more specific? Or was it one of those "I heard about a guy one time..." stories?

JMH

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chipw
    Just bought some FSA chainrings to replace my worn Shimano rings. A friend has told me that I will have shifting problems running anything other than Shimano chainrings on the XT cranks. First time I heard that. Is he right or am I good to go with the FSA rings?

thanks.
    shouldn't be a problem but you might want a new chain also

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    He just said that Shimano chainrings work best with Shimano cranks and FSA chainrings work best with FSA cranks ect. He is by no means an expert. I thought I would be ok running this set up, have seen it many times and hadnt heard of problems. Just wanted to make sure.

I will be getting a new chain and rear cassette as well.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Sounds like you are doing everything right by replacing all the parts at the same time. FSA rings are great, enjoy your new drivetrain!

JMH

In exile
    I had to file the tabs on my V drives to run an XT ring, because of built up spot at the tabs. They work fine now. Most rings are completey flat that the tabs, so it is usually not an issue. Some rings don't shift as well as Shimano, but the FSA rings will be fine. The tabs could be a touch long, but they can be ground.