mtbr member

Any Phil Wood b/b experts out there?

Hi,

Just got a Phil b/b and before I install it I want to make sure there isn't a problem. I noticed that the cups don't slide easily over the bearings. I am not able to push them all the way onto the bearings by hand, about 1/3 to 1/2 the width of the bearing . I assume when I do this with a torque wrench it will go all the way on, but I wasn't sure if this was supposed to be a close tollerance fit. I figure this is all fine but want to be sure before I install this beauty. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan
    Last edited by BigIf; 12-30-2005 at 07:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flakbait
    Hi,

Just got a Phil b/b and before I install it I want to make sure there isn't a problem. I noticed that the cups don't slide easily over the bearings. I am not able to push them all the way onto the bearings by hand, about 1/3 to 1/2 the width of the bearing . I assume when I do this with a torque wrench it will go all the way on, but I wasn't sure if this was supposed to be a close tollerance fit. I figure this is all fine but want to be sure before I install this beauty. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan
    Your assumption about torquing it down; the cup moving onto the bearing the correct distance, is correct. This is a precision fit bearing type. Also, be certain to apply grease or Anti-Sieze on the interfacing surfaces.
    Last edited by Mudflaps; 01-01-2006 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Omission